.lnk ?

1337dingo

my friend was sending me photo's over skype of their recent trip, and was saving and opening them and then this one came through, they said they sent it and it was ment to be like that so i was like hmm ok, opend it in photo veiwer, then BOOM every thing on my desktop nearly is opening in that, change one it changes them all. i can go into program files though and open them were they start, so i think its just all shortcuts because even creating a new short cut has it.. any one experience this before?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
.lnk file are actually a shortcut to the file. The original machine should be able to open the file but not someone that was sent the .lnk file.

1337dingo

yeah it said open with so i chose photo veiwer thinking it was a photo, now EVERY thing opens with that, i tryed changing one to chrome but it changed them all to chrome

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Uh... change them to open with Windows Explorer? I always thought that shortcuts were special, kinda like exe files, in that you don't actually have a program for them and you shouldn't even be able to pick one.

I forget where but somewhere (in control panel perhaps) there might be a place where it lists all the file types and their associated programs. Perhaps look for it and see if there's a setting to remove this association?

Of course, I have no recollection of having seen such settings since Win98SE... you might have to fiddle with your registry settings. I would check myself if I were using Windows right now.

alexr1090

Uh... change them to open with Windows Explorer?

Nope, it needs to be associated to nothing then it starts working.
... I forget where but somewhere (in control panel perhaps) ...

Yes, it is in the control panel. On the machine I'm using now (which is running Windows 7) there is also a link to the default programs in the start menu.

... you might have to fiddle with your registry settings. ...

I think that you could change it from the registry but there's an easier way.
Open the command prompt as administrator, type
Code:
assoc .lnk=

Type it exactly as that, don't put a space after =, just press enter :)

Last edited: