local area connection is unplugged???(it did)

foehngreen

On one of my PCs, in the notification area, an icon consisting of two monitors with a red "X" appeared with the message: "Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged." However, the cable is not unplugged. My other PC and laptop (which is wireless) can connect to the Internet, so I know it's not my ISP or my router.

First, I thought it may be the cable, so I replaced it with another cable I had. No luck.

Then I thought it may be the port on the router, so I plugged it into one of the other ports (including the port that the working PC was plugged into). Still no luck.

Next, I checked Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. There is no exclamation point next to it. Plus, under Properties, it indicates that this device is working properly.

I shut down all my computers, and unplugged the dsl modem and router. I waited a few minutes and then plugged in the modem, followed by the router. Once both of those were fully booted, I turned my computers back on. Still, no connection for the problem PC.

I went back into Device Manager and uninstalled the network adapter. Following this, I went to Add Hardware. The PC found the new hardware and installed it successfully. However, immediately upon reinstalling the hardware components, the unplugged network cable icon reappeared.

Following this, I went to Run, typed "cmd" and then "ipconfig." Under Windows IP Configuration, it reads:
"Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State.........: Media Disconnected." Is this the source of the problem? If so, how do I fix this?

I am using a Gateway 500XL with Windows XP Home. The ISP provide is Verizon and the router is a Netgear WGR614 v6.

gamerman4

If there isnt an active light, then usually there is an IP you can go into that goes into the router settings, the IP usually starts with 198.168 , Im not sure how netgear configures theirs but mine has a section in the settings that sees if it detects a connection or not.

Crypto

sounds like a bad NIC? You wont get to the router config page without a network connection.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Ya, c'mon guys, if it says network cable unplugged there isnt gonna be any connection to get into the router now is there....??

Tell me, are you using a Network Card through a PCI slot or is this Network Port integrated into the motherboard?? Try using a different NIC (Network Interface Card) and see if it works.

Oh yeh, and i know it sounds dumb but have you restarted the router and have you restarted your PC....

dragon

agapetos

smells like a bad card, but it would be nice to know if it is onboard or a PCI card??
I mean....he did all the right things, for troubleshooting, and there is not much more he can do, if he has no connection. Again, is the up light on????? check on
the card itself right next to the rj45.
The new cards are not that expensive either.