local area connection unplugged?? but it is

deaths soul

I plug in my ethernet cable and it still says that it is unplugged. I dont know why this happened everything was fine until i shut down my comp for a few hours. I have checked different cables so i know its not that. Checked for updated drivers not that either, if anyone knows please tell me. Thanks, Josh

deaths soul

Just says media disconnected, for some reason my computer isnt reading my ethernet cable, but sometimes it does. This problem just started happening after i turned my comp down for a few hours then i turned it back on tonight.

emilimo701

sounds like you are in the same boat as i am. I shut off my Pavillion, turn it back on and ethernet cable doesn't work - but WIRELESS DOES. Weird...

and for info:
ipconfig still says "media disconnected" under Local Area Connection even though i'm connected to the internet via wireless

Last edited:

deaths soul

Yea i have no idea how to fix this problem and it is making me mad because i didnt change anything, this just happened for know reason.

astpete

Sounds like a problem with whatever you are plugging in into, dsl modem, router, or whatever you case my be, try another port. If that doesn't work, sounds like you need to replace your network card.

deaths soul

Ok sometimes i will plug in the ethernet cable to my NIC and it starts to aquire the address like it normally did but like after 3 secs it just says network cable unplugged, but it isnt unplugged. I dont know what to do.

deaths soul

Ok i figured out the problem, the pins in my nic card must not be getting a good connection with the pins in my cables, because when i press down on the cable it works fine and gets connected right away, but when i let go it losses the connection again, when i look at the nic card pins they look fine and not bent or dirty, any suggestions?

alanuofm

VIP Member
deaths soul said:
Do i need a whole new card or can i fix the connector?

since its a laptop, the ethernet is built onto the mobo so its not really about getting a whole new card.

you could try cleaning the pins with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol incase there is any non visible build up. if that doesnt work you could carefully mess with the 8 contacts.