lookin to upgrade computer

uNoRtHoDoX

Ok, i have a stock Dell Dimension 4400. I'm a newbie so thats about all i kno : ( anyways im lookin to upgrade it; more memory, better graphic card, better sound, faster. that kinda stuff....soo can you guyz help me

Bobo

banned
uNoRtHoDoX said:
Ok, i have a stock Dell Dimension 4400. I'm a newbie so thats about all i kno : ( anyways im lookin to upgrade it; more memory, better graphic card, better sound, faster. that kinda stuff....soo can you guyz help me

PC2100 DDRSDRAM, up to 1GB, with 2 slots

Socket 478 processor, Northwood P4

As far as I could find, it was only AGP 4x

Sound, you could get anything PCI

You don't need to understand all this, but what is your budget, and what do you plan to do with this computer?

Yeti

VIP Member
What do you want to do with it after its upgraded? How much money do you want to spend?

uNoRtHoDoX

i dont want to spend too much...i was thinkin bout upgrading over time, and i want to make my computer faster and better for gaming

uNoRtHoDoX

Bobo said:
PC2100 DDRSDRAM, up to 1GB, with 2 slots

Socket 478 processor, Northwood P4

As far as I could find, it was only AGP 4x

is all that what my computer is? and if soOoOoOoo wat should i get to do what i said above

Bobo

banned
uNoRtHoDoX said:
is all that what my computer is? and if soOoOoOoo wat should i get to do what i said above

Get more RAM first. I don't think you need a processor upgrade, another GHz aint gonna give you much better performance or anything

The TI-500 video card, which i am pretty sure is what you have, is pretty good as AGP 4x goes. But I am guessing you only have 256MB RAM, which aint too good. Get a GB, the only prob is that I dunno what type of RAM

Yeti

VIP Member
Okay looking at the documentation for your system you have an Intel 845 chipset which supports either DDR 200/266 or PC133 memory (don't worry if you don't understand this unorthodox). The documentation also says your computer uses DDR so you either have DDR 200 or DDR 266. So your best bet would be buying 2 512 MB sticks of DDR266 memory (I think that should be backward compatible w/ DDR200, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, exactly what is your limit for spending? Numbers always help. And what types of games are you planning on playing? No amount of upgrades is going to turn what you have into a uber gaming computer :)

Last edited: