Looking at this Olympus camera, Opinions?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
If you're looking at a pocket-sized camera, look at one of the Canons. Much better quality and functionality...

Punk

Staff member
Without even looking at it, Olympus cameras are very low quality. I'd seriously consider another brand...

I have an Olympus D545 ( 175$) and it makes greater pictures than Panasonics for 250$....

Olympus are great, don't listen to him...

For this camera, 7.1 MP and 3X optical... that's pretty good!

:D

Aero

well 7.1mp is enough for very good quality pics...for zoom i would look for more optical and less digital...digital sucks to zoom in, it ruins the quality...Olympus has made some pretty bad stuff in the past but they have a good rep now...but if you are lookin for a pocket camera i would recommend looking at Fuji, Sony, and Canon more, Olympus makes good SLRs but their pocket stuff isnt that great...and as for durability there isnt much to any camera, you drop it they break lol, but Olympus does have a good rep for their stuff lasting a while...at least their 35mm do i am not sure about their digital line

I thought that Olympus was good, my uncle owns a photo printshop and photo studio and he has some type of Olympus professional thing....But, he does rely on Canon alot, I thought Olympus was good, I like the design on this, Canons look so nerdy and Sonys are overpriced

Aero

Sony slaps a big price tag on all their stuff(such as PS3...not that i have anythin against the PS3 except the price) but yeah Olympus has some really good stuff

heyman421

banned
i've had an olympus camera for 3 years (bought it the same time i bought my desktop) and it still works just fine.

really nice camera, actually.

even the motorized lense cover and everything still works

Punk

Staff member
7.1 MP is more than you need...

Get a 5MP with a better Optical zoom...

double b26

the bad side of sony (from my experience) is when you are talking car stereo and laser-based product. but the rest usually do pretty good, but cost a bit more than comparable competition. never messed with a sony camera tho...

myself, i would look into a kodak if you want durability. ive had this 3.2mp kodak (cx-4300) for almost 4 years now. i take it off roading (i live in west virginia...lots of hills and mud to play in), keg parties and pretty much everywere i go. and ive bumped, dropped and spilt beer all over it...still works. but then a month or so back i knocked it off the coffee table and the battery door popped open. it landed right one it, and broke one of the tabs off that keep the door on the camera. so now the batterys fall out and the door falls off....real pain to try and hold it together and take a pic!!!! so i gotta look into a new one soon. but thats my experience with kodak. definatly worth a look.

heyman421

banned
brand has nothing to do with it

sony car stereos are the worst, like you said

sony televisions are some of the best

sony's professional-line dv cameras are among the best video cameras are among the best you can buy

so it definitely comes down to a model-to-model comparison

Schonza

OK.. First off.
MP don't give you quality, the lens/glass that brings the picture and light in and the CCD (Charge-coupled device) and the capture device are what make the picture good or bad. Yes ok, you need a fair amount of pixels so your pics aren't pixelated, but I've seen too many people buy cameras with 10+ MP only to see that take crap photos because the lenses and CCD are bad(In some cases plastic lenses).Megapixels are simply the amount of pixels that are in a picture, therefore if you decide to blow it up, you won't lose quality.
Anyway, I drifted off a little bit. I work with cameras pretty much day in and day out, and this camera is awesome.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120194

I would recommend a Canon Ixus 70, but since newegg doesn't sell them I can't.(In fact it looks like Canon doesn't sell them in America) But that Powershot is fantastic. Definately gets my recommendation.

bass76

VIP Member
I own two digital cameras. My old one is an Olympus 3.2mp 3x zoom. It chucked a sad when I stupidly got sand in it! My only complaint with that camera was the battery life...it absolutely sucks the life out of batteries, and I used quality rechargables. It also had a long shutter lag which p*ssed me off. My new camera is a Canon Powershot A630 8mp 4x zoom. 8mp is probably way above what I REALLY need but I do enlarge a few photos and the price was on par with lower mp cameras. I can't fault it. Sure its not the SLR that I'd love to own but price dictated what I got. I can have 100% control of all settings (which I usually do) or full auto. It has a flip out 2.5 inch lcd that swivels to almost any angle which means I can take shots from above my head to ground level. There are so many good cameras out there though and you shouldn't limit yourself to one or two brands to choose from.

Last edited:

tobywuk

i have an olympous camera. pics are out of focus if i dont use the flash, but when i do they are great.

Kornowski

VIP Member
If you want a great little pocket sized camer, take a look at the Canon IXUS 800, I have one and it's amazing, lots of features that you don't normally get on a smaller cammer. Stuff like shutter speed and ISO settings.

IF you want a look, here's some pictures I took with it so you get an idea of the quality. They'd be much bigger but I resized them to put on the forum.

img4200wv6.jpg

img4286bm9.jpg

img4327sz6.jpg

img4365eo6.jpg

It has a GREAT macro lense!

Just looked it up, It's called the PowerShot SD700 in US and the IXUS 800 in Europe.

This is it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120046

Last edited:

bass76

VIP Member
Kornowski, those photos are great! I esp. like the night shot. I know you're not asking for opinions on them tho but can I offer my advice on the statue pic? You have the statue in the right position in the frame if u consider the rule of thirds but its looking the wrong way. In my experience if you have a person/figure/statue lookin in one direction position them in the frame so they are looking 'through' the empty space of the middle and other side of the photo. Very very good shots though.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks man :)

Nah, I don't mind a bit of advice... Yeah, I get what you mean, If the oppertunity arrises I'll take your advice... :D

Have you decided on a camera IntelCrazy?

I like that SD700, I like the way it caught those water drops, and the detail of the leaves. Very cool, I am gonna buy that IXUS 800/SD700.

Thanks guys