looking best audio motherboard (micro?)

steve bro

Want to build own computer dedicated (for now) to audio. want expandability, possiblely micro (thinking of one or 2 rack unit case) want audio section for; fire wire, 1/4 jacks and usb all hooked up internal possible?

want least amount latency overall. recording 60% live performance 40%

am first time builder, doing all research possible ( am a guitar god wannabe) :cool:

thanks
Steve gb.
peace

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part Im guessing yer main focus on uber-serious parts will be the soundcard, speakers and input devices ... platform-wise, it's fairly standardized now so you will be fairly well off regardless of which route you take. One question though: how much audio would you see yourself processing in any given sitting? (10 minutes? 30hours? etc)

steve bro

I may be recording up to five or six hours, and if I do perform with it or practice 2-four hours.

I have been reading your how to build a computer (very good stuff) and think that for the expandability and form factor I want a K8N-DL Dual Opteron 940 motherboard. kinda steep $$ but what do you?
I would like gamming option for future and form fitted or 1 or 2 rack unit. could I do something like this in a 1 rack unit with a max of 14" depth 19" width? monitors crts I have been looking at are small screen and flat right now gonna have least amnt of grafix. Am thinking least amnt dual AMD 1.6 or 1.6 and 1.8. again what do you thinK?
your stuffs great info great read
thanks
steve bro out

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I want a K8N-DL Dual Opteron 940 motherboard. kinda steep $$ but what do you?
've only dealt with Tyan dual CPU boards myself (and that one random MSI one) so i dont have an opinion on ASUS dual opteron boards. From the look of things its a fairly decent board

Am thinking least amnt dual AMD 1.6 or 1.6 and 1.8. again what do you thinK?
yer dealing with say an Opteron 265 [OSA265FAA6CB] (which is DualCore) or something .. the lowest is 1.8GHz ... otherwise, i'd prolly go with the higher of those two (ie. the Opteron 244 [OSA244FAA5BL preferably, OSA244FAA5BL is ok too)

your stuffs great info great read
thanks but i cant take credit for the Building COmputers 101 threads .. Lord Anthrax did that one