Looking for a new computer.

VoodooGypsy

Hello, I just joined the forums today.
I need help from you knowledgeable people because I am a "noob" when it comes to computers.

I'm looking to buy a new computer.
It can be custom built through a company or a prebuilt big name brand, as long as it suits my needs.

So here is what I'll need the computer for.
Gaming: I'll for sure play CS:S, Day of Defeat: Source, Call of Duty: World at War, and Rose Online.
I want to play competitively, but don't need to run every game on the highest settings. I want to run the games on just the average or default settings.
Of course I may expand or shrink my gaming choices down the road.

School: I just need Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.

Random: I mess around with Photoshop CS mainly for gaming forums, nothing too big. I also surf the web a lot and play flash games and watch animations on Newgrounds and similar websites.
I also use iTunes and like to download movies. Right now I have 18.3 Gigs of music (and 4 movies) on iTunes. Along with that, I have about 26 Gigs of movies on my computer.

And there you have it.
I need a cheap/affordable computer that can play on average settings online , handle small-time photo editing in Photoshop CS, and listen to my music collection.

My friend says I should be able to get a computer for about $600 that will suit my needs.
So I'm looking to not go above $600. I would love to stay at the $500 mark. Cheaper the better! to a certain extent.

Edit: I already have a Bose sound system, ViewSonic monitor that will hold for a while, keyboard and mouse (though both are showing signs of use). I also have a HP Printer. So all I need is the comp.

Last edited:

daisymtc

You wont be able to run CoD WaW on an ati radeon 4550, but then again he can always upgrade it and still be in his budget, get something along the lines of this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150351

I know this PC can't play game. However, that is the main reason I choose that PC as it is web under budget that he can upgrade the video card easily...

I think it would be better to go to cyberpowerpc to customize, I am a bit worry about the 420W PSU come with case.

jeremyp

Heres another one, the only thing better about it is that it has a nvidia 9800gt, which would most probably play WaW at avg. settings, but it may be a better option to get the one that daisy said since you can upgrade to something better than a 9800 gt. But its your choice, depends if you could be bothered to upgrade and get some better performance or get the $700 one and maybe a little less performance in games. heres the $700 one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229094

VoodooGypsy

Wow, thank you guys.
I took a look at the CyberPower website and dang...too many computers to look at with way too many confusing options.

I think the computer daisymtc posted will be best for me. Right now I don't own a copy of CoD: WaW so I have time to upgrade if needed.
So down the road I will need a better graphics card (the one jeremyp suggested) and possibly power supply?

I hate living in Rocket Land. Shipping is like $106. Still ends up about $600, I'll have to think about this for a bit haha.

Last edited: