Looking for a new motherboard.

Archangel

VIP Member
Well... im looking for a good overclocking motherboard, cince the board i currently have doesnt really want to.
Budget.. well... i have enough spare for about every motherboard.. however the price must be justified.

The must's for the mortherboard i want:
It has to support Dual Core CPU's (obviously)
It HAS to be a SLI board ( else i cant use my current grafic's setup)
and It has to be able to overclock nicely :)

as for onboard features.. they cant really bother me, i have a soundcard, i also do have a Lan card etc. I have a Sata2 HDD and 2 IDE opticals.
i also have a front panel with USB ets, but i dont think thats a problem.

I had a look on the Asus A8n32 motherboard, and it looked nice to me,.. altough it has a lot of feat's i wouldnt be using anyway.

so.. im open for suggestions. :)

Archangel

VIP Member
cmon... usually you guy's love to advice all kind of stuff... and because of some restrictions in advance no response at all? how dissapointing.. :p

but seriously.. anyone who know's a goos s939 SLI board, wich is good for overclocking a X2.

(I think i found te reason why i cant overclock it btw.. the supported CPU's list goes p to the 4800+... the fx-60 isnt even supported nor mentioned in the list... so probably it cant hande dual core CPU's over 2.4GHz... wich is too bad tbh... but i think the buying a new one is justified... since i kinda planned my cooling in the pc for overclocking it. :( )

Archangel

VIP Member
any other suggestions? I mean, is something like 2 pci-e 16x slots something that puts it above other mobo's?
and are Asus's usually good overclockers?

Archangel

VIP Member
hmm... both those DFI boards look good,.. but both had on the Cons the motherboards southbridge heatsink beeing in the way for longer cards ( my 7800GTX's are quite long ) and it beeing quite weak.

is that true? or should i be fine with it?

Archangel

VIP Member
Is the asus board a good overclocker? I had a look at it to, and the Fanless heatpipe cooler was certainly a plus. i wouldnt be using all the onboard feats, but its nice to have hem as backup or so.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Never tried to overclock it, it has all the setting in the bios to overclock. The only thing I didnt like about the Asus is the way the PCI slots were, if your running SLI there a pain to run a card in a PCI slot

Archangel

VIP Member
I only have 1 pci card in use, and thats my soundcard, i can fit that right above the bottom grafic's card without a problem i think :)

I think the A8N32 will be it then :eek:

Grey410

ASUS works for me!

I only have 1 pci card in use, and thats my soundcard, i can fit that right above the bottom grafic's card without a problem i think :)

I would go with them. I've always been an Abit man since the Celeron 300A OC'd to 450 days ROFL. Back when if you hit 30 FPS you were SCREAMING boy. But my new ASUS has been a dream. It OC's well once you get the settings correct. I'm happy with it and the quick connect feature mine supports is AWESOME. I'd try to get passive cooling on the chipset as I hear the fans like to burn out. The one you're getting has great reviews. Good luck! :)

StrangleHold

Staff member

Thats the reason I remembered, he wanted a sound card instead of onboard and it was a tight fit in the last PCI slot using SLI. On the DFI there are 2 PCI slots to the lower PCIe, alittle more room!

Archangel

VIP Member
k8sli.jpg

this is the layout of the board i currently have,... it has even less space than the asus :) so i think its an improvement nevertheless