Looking for a new phone. Which one shall I go for?

Nokia Lumia 920? Or Apple iPhone 5?

• Total voters

i_hate_toms

The two things i am considering are:-
1> Apple iPhone 5.
2> Nokia Lumia 920.
I'm gonna purchase this in India. Here handsets are NOT operator subsidized and i'll be shelling out quite an amount to get any of these. For example, the Lumia 920 would cost around 37 thousand bucks. To give you an idea of how expensive that is, this Windows 8 i3 HP Laptop i'm using to type this post, costs 35 thousand.
The smartphone would cost more than a real computer!
Have saved for the last three years to purchase a real smartphone, have been using a Nokia E7-00, it's a great phone, but nevertheless it comes nowhere near WindowsPhone 8 or iOS.
( http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e7-3545.php )
Used an iPhone for a few days [mom's phone, exchanged mine with her for a month--love you mom :) ] and no matter what people say about Apple, I think it's a FANTASTIC device.
On the other hand, i am using Windows 8 on the computer, and I am really impressed with what Microsoft has done this time. Do windows phone 8 devices look and behave exactly like this windows 8 computer? Is there a desktop? are there "charms"?
Which one do you think would be a better choice? Like I said, i saved for years to get a proper smartphone, and i want this phone to last, at least 5 years, so build quality is a must have.
PS:--- Please don't suggest Samsung. It'll either be Apple, or be Nokia.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I agree the S3 is a good choice.

I voted for Nokia. I've got a Lumia 710 myself and I love the Windows Phone operating system. It all comes to down to personal taste though. There aren't desktops on the phones, but the tiles UI works very nicely on a phone (my Lumia 710 has Windows Phone 7.5).

I recommend you try each one before you buy. The operating systems are very different and you may end up preferring one over for the other.

But for me, it'd definitely be the Nokia.

i_hate_toms

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for reading :)
I am at my parents for 15 days, and i have access to an iPhone (4GS, not 5).
Tried the demo device in a Nokia priority store today, and i gotta say it is WAYYYY better :)
It actually feels like carrying a computer in the pocket, and the build quality feels better than the iPhone. don't know if it's really better built, but it definitely feels more sturdy to hold.
Unfortunately, this store just had black devices, and i want the yellow one. They said they'll get me the yellow one in 2 hours, and i said i'll come tomorrow to get the fone.
So, i'm getting the yellow lumia 920 tomorrow. It's an awesome device :)
Another question i have is, are there proper apps available for Windows Phone 8 devices?
I need a good internet browser that'll support flash, a good camera app, a ms word document editor, a proper email client like ms outlook and something that'd let me stay connected to FB/YM/GTalk chat services all the time.

tech savvy

The two things i am considering are:-
1> Apple iPhone 5.
2> Nokia Lumia 920.
I'm gonna purchase this in India. Here handsets are NOT operator subsidized and i'll be shelling out quite an amount to get any of these. For example, the Lumia 920 would cost around 37 thousand bucks. To give you an idea of how expensive that is, this Windows 8 i3 HP Laptop i'm using to type this post, costs 35 thousand.
The smartphone would cost more than a real computer!
Have saved for the last three years to purchase a real smartphone, have been using a Nokia E7-00, it's a great phone, but nevertheless it comes nowhere near WindowsPhone 8 or iOS.
( http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e7-3545.php )
Used an iPhone for a few days [mom's phone, exchanged mine with her for a month--love you mom :) ] and no matter what people say about Apple, I think it's a FANTASTIC device.
On the other hand, i am using Windows 8 on the computer, and I am really impressed with what Microsoft has done this time. Do windows phone 8 devices look and behave exactly like this windows 8 computer? Is there a desktop? are there "charms"?
Which one do you think would be a better choice? Like I said, i saved for years to get a proper smartphone, and i want this phone to last, at least 5 years, so build quality is a must have.
PS:--- Please don't suggest Samsung. It'll either be Apple, or be Nokia.

That's in Indian Rupees, not U.S dollars. But still, $680 for a Nokia Lumia 920 is crazy. If I had to choose iPhone or Lumia...iPhone. But S3 is best phone out now.

Last edited:

wbt50

Samsung Galaxy S3

^ This.

I have the S3 my self and my brother has the iPhone 5 and I definitely feel the S3 is way better. Much longer battery life (Although not long enough) The S3 is slightly faster and I love the big screen on it, some might disagree on that though. Android OS has come a long way and I feel it has passed iOS now. It's fluid, much more customisable, and google play has passes the app store on the number of apps available.

Last edited:

i_hate_toms

the reason i want to stay away from Samsung, is their build quality.
haven't seen the S3 (except on TV commercials) but this friend of mine carries a note 2 to college. It looks awesome from a distance -- nice bright big screen, and the android OS it uses (the UI, not the core, can't comment on the core OS as I haven't personally used a single android device ever. All I've used is Symbian, and iOS) is really good.
But the moment I hold it in my hand, its got this "Cheap plastic -- made in china" feel. Even my Nokia E7 has an anodized aluminum body and feels "premium" to touch.
Why won't they give the device the iphone/E7 "premium" feel? They've used the best hardware available and a super-cool OS to drive it, then why compromise on the exterior/ physical 'body' of the device? I want this phone to last for at least 5 years, I'm only a student, if a device this expensive breaks (physically), i won't be able to afford another high end device for the next 3 years, and will have to settle down for a cheapo Nokia Asha or something. By that time (3 years from now), this laptop i'm typing on, would be near-obsolete, and investing 3 years of savings on purchasing a new computer would be a better deal, than purchasing a new mobile phone.
To summarize, i want this phone to last 'till i complete my studies and score a decent job and can afford a new phone without having to save for years :p
And I'm still waiting for someone who's using a WP8 device, to tell me about the software available in the windows 8 mobile platform.
1>Flash enabled web browser
2>MS Word editor
3>MS outlook style email program
4>A good camera app which won't 'compress' the pictures i click, which would allow clicked photos to be 3-4 MB in size, like an entry level digital camera does.
5>A "chat" app which would keep me signed-in to FB/YM/Gtalk.

I'm sure all these things are there in the apple app store, but are these available for WindowsPhone devices?
Thanks everyone who read/ replied. CF rocks. Way better than tom's.
:)

wbt50

Some might say the S3 has a cheap feeling to it, but I don't mind it at all. But I know for sure it can take a beating, I regulary drop my phone, I don't actually take care of it quite well. Also the phone dropped from my pocket a while ago when I was climbing over this fence (Don't ask why :D) and I was around 15Feet high and it dropped on to a solid concrete floor, and survived with only a tiny dent on the frame.

I was quite impressed with it I have to say.

speedyink

VIP Member
I'm not sure I'd count on the iphone lasting after 5 years.. I've seen plenty not as old as that with broken power or home buttons, speakers, or displays.

I'd go for the Nokia. I've never seen a device they made that wasn't solid.

Can't comment on the windows 8 apps..although there's not near as many as ios and android. If you're looking for a tough android phone turn to motorola. The Razr M is pretty solid, made of aircraft grade aluminum, kevlar, and it's water resistant.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Personally I have a S3 and love it, mainly went for it cause my fist android was a Samsung Epic and it is three years old still running for my little sister. I have dropped my S3 twice and not a single crack if that answers the build quality issue.

If though I only had those two for options I would go iphone. Had a Windows Phone and it had a fraction of the apps, plus at least I would know with iphone I will see at least one or two updates. Poor Window Phone 7.5 users will never see the Windows Phone 8 as per M$.

Justin

VIP Member
I vote iPhone just for the sheer number of apps.

I had an iPhone 3Gs that hit the concrete on several occasions (screen first at one time) and no major damage occurred apart from a scratch that's an inch long. That phone lasted almost 3 years without any hiccups. I have a 4s and I'm happy with it.

Justin

VIP Member
Huh? Nokia has a great reputation.

I had to do it. :p
e84.jpg

tech savvy

Quality=iPhone

Features/enjoyment=S3

I do NOT buy apple products, do to overpriced. But if you want quality, then it has to be apple, period. IMHO, I do not think there's a phone out that has better quality then the iPhone. But that does not mean go out and buy one.

Like I said, iPhone vs Nokia...really? iPhone. Since the Nokia is the same price as the iPhone over there, no brainier.

But Samsung S3 over all. Not for there quality(Lol), but for there features and enjoyment.

i_hate_toms

Thanks everyone :)
I've got the yellow lumia 920.
Awesome device!! :)
Charging now.. can't wait for it to complete charging... dying to use it but the person in Nokia store asked me to charge it for 10 hours and keep it plugged in for 10 hours, even if it says "charging complete", and let it drain completely until the phone warns about low battery, before putting it on charge again, for the first 5 charge cycles. Is this really necessary?
Haven't used the iPhone 5, but have used an iPhone 4GS, and this lumia really feels better than the 4GS :)
I don't need a million apps in the app store.. I just need these 5 apps i mentioned in my previous post :)
The build quality is awesome. Feels rock solid to hold. Looks like Nokia is back in business :)

Last edited:

Ankur

@OP
You didn't tell your exact usage for your phone, but anyways you purchased a very nice phone. I am going to get windows phone but a low end one, Nokia 620, pretty much completes my needs.