Looking for a place to store digital movies

bengal85

I am currently in the process of converting all of the DVD content that I have purchased over the years into digital content. I have a lot of content and the files that I have already converted are pretty large and take up storage space quick. I was wondering what device/storage option would be best to store the digital files yet keep them available for viewing.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
How much do you want to spend? I have one idea in mind, but it's very expensive.

Another option is to get a NAS to keep all your files on.

bengal85

How much do you want to spend? I have one idea in mind, but it's very expensive.

Another option is to get a NAS to keep all your files on.

I have not put together a budget yet. I figured I would compile a list fo all the best options and then make a better game plan from that. So I am open to what ever you have to offer.

The NAS system is already on the list.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
If you don't need to access the device over the network,you can always get DAS then since it's a little bit less expensive than NAS.
Of course DAS can also be accesses over the network,but it requires the computer in order to do that.NAS doesn't.

They are both good for storage.

If you want to spend even less money then you can always get one very big hard disk drive in the enclosure which can connect to your USB if you want.

All 3 options are okay.
I would however strongly recommend to hold all your important data on at least 2 drives just in case.

bengal85

If you don't need to access the device over the network,you can always get DAS then since it's a little bit less expensive than NAS.
Of course DAS can also be accesses over the network,but it requires the computer in order to do that.NAS doesn't.

They are both good for storage.

If you want to spend even less money then you can always get one very big hard disk drive in the enclosure which can connect to your USB if you want.

All 3 options are okay.
I would however strongly recommend to hold all your important data on at least 2 drives just in case.

I will look into the DAS for sure. I had thought of a large external hard drive because it would enable playback on my USB enabled devices. I understand that it would have to be a fairly large drive. Also I agree with having 2 back ups.

Geoff

VIP Member
Just an FYI, it's illegal to duplicate copyrighted DVD videos, even for your own personal/backup use.

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

Who cares! It's mine, I bought it and I'll do whatever I want! I burn games as a backup or create images. So...

Many people use handbreak and several other pieces of software to make copies, transcode, etc.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Who cares! It's mine, I bought it and I'll do whatever I want! I burn games as a backup or create images. So...

Many people use handbreak and several other pieces of software to make copies, transcode, etc.
Some people may not want to risk breaking digital copyright, if caught the fine is severe.