looking for a video card

Fankango

i dont know much about the video cards out there. I am want to play doom 3 and someother games but i need a video card. I have 200 dollars what is a good card to get or do i need more money. I am willing to wait if i dont need much more.

ThePCmaN

i say you wait a little more.. and save another $100 , maybe a tad-bit more.. and get the nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB ... that would be pretty nice!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have 200 dollars what is a good card to get or do I need more money. I am willing to wait if I dont need much more
For $200 you can get a 6600GT (now) but you might wanna see if you can wait till xmas or so for the 6800GT or 6800 depending on which is cheaper :)

GeForce 6800 GT for $300 I highly doubt that.
Well im lookin at one right now.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well im lookin at one right now.

I believe you! :).. but plz tell me where! LOL.. I spent over $600. a few weeks ago and they where hard to get here In london Ontario and as we speak Compusmart is selling one for $699.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well they base at $400 for the GT and $318 for the base but I get discounts :p (heck ive only spent $25K+ there -- i BETTER get discounts). :D

A hint -- DONT buy from CompuSmart. Ive been there. I left real fast. :p (another funny store is Futureshop -- the 9800XT is $100CAD more expensive than the X800Pro heehee)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
well dont that figure :).. I want discounts too :).. but in all fairness us reguler joes dont get those discounts :).. Also though when I did order mine the stores I went to did not have them and the store i bought my vid card ordered me one from a company that they dont usualy carry.

A hint -- DONT buy from CompuSmart. Ive been there. I left real fast. (another funny store is Futureshop -- the 9800XT is $100CAD more expensive than the X800Pro heehee)

Thanks for the hint :).. I actualy shop here mostly though because it's close and I bought all my sysetem components here as well http://www.megacomputer.ca/index.htm

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but in all fairness us reguler joes dont get those discounts
Very true ... it's taken me a lot of time to get to the position im in (i get charged about 2-5% over their cost ... as opposed to 10-15% or higher). But with respect to "regular joes", there are a lot of good deals to be had .... ya just need to hunt around :)

nyoung356

I'm using an xfx nvidia fx 5700, which i got from www.tigerdirect.com. Obviously its not the newest but for $199, you get 256mb, a gpu running at 425 mhz, which yields a 256 bit graphics core. it works great, and has never copped out, i play games like warcraft3, counter-strike(and other half-life mods, americas army, need for speed....works great with all of them.