Looking for a Wide Angle lens for Cannon

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras, Webcams and Scanners' started by CrazyMike, Jun 21, 2013.

1. CrazyMike

CrazyMike New Member

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a wide angle lens for my Cannon T3i. Shopping around for and lens, I have realized that they are freaaaaking expensive. Does anyone know where I can get one for a decent price?

I was wanting a wide angle lens mainly for landscape pictures.

Thanks

2. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

3. Justin

Justin VIP Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  4. voyagerfan99

Derp. Still a nice lens though :good:

EDIT: Fixed your link. He has a Canon, not a Nikon ;)

5. Justin

Justin VIP Member

Moar DERP

Thanks!

6. voyagerfan99

It's okay. We derp together :D

7. spirit

spirit Moderator Staff Member

What lenses do you currently own?

For most things, the 18-55 kit lens is wide enough at 18mm.

8. CrazyMike

CrazyMike New Member

I only have two. I can't remember my smaller lens (something like the EF55-?) and then I have a 75mm-200mm lens. I was looking at landscape photos taken with a wide photo/fisheye lens and really like the way they look. I just didn't know they were around $800 :s .

The more I look, the more I think I should have gotten a Nikon. Cannon is like the Apple in camera world.

9. Kornowski

Kornowski VIP Member

Have you considered getting a wide angle adaptor that just screws onto the end of your lens? I've used one a few times on the end of the 18-55 kit lens, it's not too bad. Obviously it isn't the sharpest, but it's cheap and easy to use.

10. spirit

Probably the 18-55 lens.

18mm should be wide enough for most things.

Remember too if that you're using a crop sensor body (like the 550D) then you need to multiply the focal length by 1.5 or 1.6 (I think it's 1.5 for Canon and 1.6 for Nikon?) to get the true focal length you are using.

11. CrazyMike

CrazyMike New Member

Nice!!! where do you get this? lol I can't seem to find these "adaptors".

12. xarik

xarik New Member

What do you mean that you multiply the focal length? I just got myself a T1i and don't have money for anything past the 18-55mm lense it came with...kinda like the fisheye look too (not for a $600 lense though)

13. Kornowski

Kornowski VIP Member

I got mine from eBay, it's pretty much identical to this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...98502673?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item484b272811

There's a pretty heavy vignette when you're fully wide @18mm, but if you zoom to about 25mm or so, it goes. Well worth a punt at $20! Plus the macro 'lens' is pretty good for messing about, too.

14. CrazyMike

CrazyMike New Member

Hmm something to concider. I think I'll keep looking for a proper lens. Just trying to find one about $500

15. Rit

Rit Member

If you're doing landscape, then go w/ the Sigma 10-20mm, but if you're going for something like a walk around lens that's just wider than what you have now, I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. The Tamron would work for landscape, but then give you some flexibility with the lens.

16. CdnAudiophile

CdnAudiophile Member

I agree. The 17-50mm will be much more useful. It will be like 28mm to 80mm on a crop sensor like the T3i.

17. spirit

I agree too. Having a tiny bit of extra focal length is also good. :)

18. xarik

xarik New Member

If you're getting rid of your factory lens, let me know. I might be in the position to purchase one soon. But I can't offer much :(

19. voyagerfan99

I'll also toss my thumbs up to these ideas :good:

20. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Don't get a fisheye for your primary wide angle lens, it has a lot more limited use than a standard ultra wide angle lens. 18mm on a crop body really isn't that wide, the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 is a great lens that both Travis and I have (well, I HAD before I went full frame) and it's a great lens at a great price.