Looking for advice on a new build for a friend

EINREB

The GT 430 will be fine for non gaming.

Thanks! Great! Saves me a little there. One more question, the parts list quoted (See posting #12) lists a Mo Bo (MSI 970A SLI Krait Ed) with a AMD FX-832E processor. I found a AMD Atheon 64 X2 in the same parts box as the GI board, and considering what I want to use the setup for, do you think I can use this older processor in this Mo Bo? I am willing to buy the recommended Processor if it will not work, but it seems to be a little bit higher performing than I will need.

EINREB

UPDATE - I got my answer. My board just came in - and the Atheon 64 X2 does not fit the socket. That means I have to get the recommended processor now. Witch is OK, it also means that I can get a Game-Ready Computer by just adding a higher end video card to the setup.
Tnx for the comments and advice, folks!

EINREB

Which specific X2 is it?

What I listed is was what I could read easily. There is some small print underneath the large words
"AMD Athlon 64 X2"
AD056001AA500
CAAFG 08288DAD
X625701G80472
Can you make anything out of that?

Sorry, but after some jiggling, the Processor DID fit. Thought did not, but the patterns of the socket and processor agreed, and I tried again. Nothing forceful, mind you, but it slipped in.

Last edited:

EINREB

Too bad, it would have been nice if it would have been. I looked at the page you referred to, there are plenty of processors that seem to work with this board, but I can not much understand it. I have a FX4100 in another board and am generally satisfied with it. What am I looking for if for general use and least expensive? (No Games) Wattage? Speed? Amount of cores?

EINREB

Kind of defeats the purpose of getting a higher end 970 board though.

Here is where it shows I do not know much about Mother Boards. This one was listed in a setup for a Game Computer, and I figured "If it is good enough for games, it should be good enough for what I am after, a fast, General Purpose computer, with no game playing". I know which Chip is recommended to complete the setup to produce a Game Computer,(FX 8320E = $118), the trick is now how to decide on a $50-90 range Processor that will do a good job for what I am after; a fast computer.
Can you recommend one for the board I have? How about a FX4100? (Or any in the 4000 series)
BWT I don't have to go too cheaply, but it makes no sense paying for something I will never use.

BTW I bought the Processor you referred to on eBay on the chance that it will be sufficient for my purpose. I can always buy a better one if it turned out to be not so.:)

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
BTW I bought the Processor you referred to on eBay on the chance that it will be sufficient for my purpose. I can always buy a better one if it turned out to be not so.:)
Damn! I probably would have went with the Phenom II X3 B73 for ~$15 and tried your luck with the unlockable 4th core.

You can always turn it into a suicide overclocking project if it doesn't suit.

EINREB

Could try FX 4300/ FX6300.
You could also invest a SSD

Too late - bought the 1TB ATA drive listed. Hmm. I always can go that SSD route later on......

Damn! I probably would have went with the Phenom II X3 B73 for ~$15 and tried your luck with the unlockable 4th core.

You can always turn it into a suicide overclocking project if it doesn't suit.

My ignorence shows again. Have no idea what you are talking about. I am stuck with the Athlon X2 for the time being.