Looking for best bang for buck processor. *Newbie*

Hello all.
I'm looking to replace my processor on my computer. I've upgraded my power supply and graphics card. I figure the processor should be next. It's a budget build so I'm not spending 300 bucks on a processor. Just something that will go nicely with the upgrades I have already done.
Here are some specs. I can get more detailed ones if needed.
GeForce Gtx 750ti graphics card
EVGA 430w power supply
8 gig's ram
Intel i3 4160 processor
Windows 10 pro
Dell optiplex 3020
Dual monitors

Let me know which processor you would get. Or any other upgrades I should look at. Thanks!

Calin

What's your exact budget? The best bang for buck CPU in my opinion is the Ryzen 5 1600 but it's 200$ and you will need a new motherbaord and RAM for it.
For that socket the best not so expensive upgrade would be an i5 4460, should be a decent upgrade from your i3.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The best chip you can possibly get is probably the i5 4690 on that system. According to a few Dell forum sources, people have gotten the 4690 to work on a Dell optiplex 3020. I wouldn't buy new at this point for that type of processor. Try to look for deals on EBay.

Do you own the mini tower or the full tower version of the 3020?

What's your exact budget? The best bang for buck CPU in my opinion is the Ryzen 5 1600 but it's 200$ and you will need a new motherbaord and RAM for it.
For that socket the best not so expensive upgrade would be an i5 4460, should be a decent upgrade from your i3.
OP owns a dell. Doing any of that will require a pretty massive transplant.

I have the full size tower. Budget is around $100-$150. Not looking to do anything crazy like changing motherboards or any of that. Just looking for a decent option that's better than the crappy i3 that's in it.

I will take a look at the i5 you suggested.

Darren

Staff member
i5 as @Intel_man mentioned is your best bet. I'd say score a 4690 and roll with it.

What games do you play and how is it not performing as you'd like? Depending on the game you might have been better served to just spend more on the GPU. Not that the 750 is bad, but I imagine it'll hold you back more than an i3 would depending on your games and other usage.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'd also get a cheap aftermarket cooler for it if you do proceed with a 4690. It maybe a locked chip, but it clocks quite high under turbo mode.

The reason I went with a 750 is because after quite a bit of research it's the only one in my price range that will fit in my case. As I said I don't have the mini tower but even the full size one is not as big as a normal tower. It plays my games pretty good (world of tanks, fallout, Sims4 for the wife) but I think a new processor would just help things. I will definitely look into the I5 you guys suggested. I will also check into a cooler. You thinking about a heat sink and fan that mounts to the processor? Or something else?

Darren

Staff member
Yeah for the games you describe a CPU is a good idea. Particularly Fallout (4 I assume?)

Cisco001

Not T version
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Quad-...950790?hash=item44032b6186:g:3dIAAOSw5UZY-8VR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...502531?hash=item3d3a713443:g:UTQAAOSwdjNZEAdV

The reason I went with a 750 is because after quite a bit of research it's the only one in my price range that will fit in my case. As I said I don't have the mini tower but even the full size one is not as big as a normal tower. It plays my games pretty good (world of tanks, fallout, Sims4 for the wife) but I think a new processor would just help things. I will definitely look into the I5 you guys suggested. I will also check into a cooler. You thinking about a heat sink and fan that mounts to the processor? Or something else?

You probably could look at itx version GPU as well...