Looking for cheap WIFI router with removable antennas?

johnnyb58

I posted a number of times for help on adding router to extend WIFI signal to out-building 70 ft away. It was suggested to buy an outdoor antenna to connect to another router antenna connection which I purchased, but it comes with a coax cable for connection. So, I’m trying to buy a cheap router with removable antenna.

Can anyone help me or maybe direct me to another forum who can help me?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't your outdoor antenna come with any info on what it can be connected to?

johnnyb58

Didn't your outdoor antenna come with any info on what it can be connected to?
Yes, it came with instructions and clearly marked that it has to be connected to a router with a removable antenna so that the “new cable” from antenna can be plugged directly into the existing routers screw-in antenna plug. I had an old Linksys WRT54GL router with removable antenna, but haven’t seen it in maybe 10 years. I had 3 or 4 old routers around and I found only 2 both without removable antennas.

johnnyb58

You'd probably be best off hiring some help.
OH Know! LOL. The recommended router costs over a $120 and I already paid $38 for the damn antenna that was supposed to just plug-in. The initial plan was ‘GO Cheep’ and with all the old computer junk I have around here, thought I could figure out something for free.

I found a router on eBay for $20 that looked perfect, but then found out the antennas aren't removable. So I'm looking for an old wireless router that the antennas unscrew off.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have an Asus ac3200 router with removable antenna but a coax won't go on it as its too small. I'm not even sure if they make a router like this. And from what I'm hearing you'll lose a lot of signal doing that. I think you are gonna be better off running a cable from your router in the house underground to the container and then setup a second router/access point in there.

beers

Staff member
I think you are gonna be better off running a cable from your router in the house underground to the container and then setup a second router/access point in there.
I would agree at this point, just buy a 100' cat5e or 6 cable and put it in PVC or something and bury it running out to the container. You could even use a PoE injector at the house side to power an AP at the container side and require zero other equipment for it to function.

johnnyb58

I have an Asus ac3200 router with removable antenna but a coax won't go on it as its too small. I'm not even sure if they make a router like this. And from what I'm hearing you'll lose a lot of signal doing that. I think you are gonna be better off running a cable from your router in the house underground to the container and then setup a second router/access point in there.
It's not a standard coax connector although some told me in a electronic forum that they have an adapter, although I don't need one.

I have a Asus ac3200 router that I'm using as my main router, but I need it to transmit my signal to the new outdoor antenna, I wouldn't need such an expensive router just as an extension.

I have enough Ethernet cable to make it all the way out there except I can't get through the house and it gets way too hot around here for it to go across the roof.