Looking for editing computer

trewyn15

Hey all, im looking for an editing computer for around $200-300 and possibly looking for something second hand if needed.

I will be doing primarily photo and video editing on two screens.

I would prefer something with an i3 or greater (what would an amd equivalent be here).

I would prefer something with hdmi (2) output or capability to upgrade to it.

I'm not worried about an optical drive or anything so size can be large or small.

Any suggestions? Would building my own be within range here?

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

VIP Member
Does that $200-$300 need to include 2 monitors, or do you already have those? That's not much money, I doubt you'd find much in that price range that would be worthwhile.

trewyn15

That was without the monitors.

I agree, low price range doesn't leave me for much. I do have the Toshiba Portege in my sig, i3 and 8GB RAM. I'm going to get a docking station for it and see if that works for me. I use it a lot for my photography, so that might turn out to working correctly.

Only thing I worry about using this laptop is that it has a 14" screen and I'd like to use the proper/full resolution for my 21" monitor.

I'm hoping my video card is capable of producing at that resolution if I don't display on my laptop screen.

Jiniix

Your Toshiba laptop most likely supports an additional monitor, even though it most likely runs on integrated graphics. It's quite simple to check: Are there any monitor connections? HDMI, DVI, VGA or DP

trewyn15

Your Toshiba laptop most likely supports an additional monitor, even though it most likely runs on integrated graphics. It's quite simple to check: Are there any monitor connections? HDMI, DVI, VGA or DP

I know it does, just curious what it'll support for additional resolutions.

It has a single VGA output, but when I get the docking station it will have 2 VGA outputs. Wondering if that will allow me to run two screens.

If that doesn't allow me to run two screens, is there a way to do so without using the VGA split and stretch method?

Jiniix

I gotta be honest, I don't know much about the magic of docking stations. It might allow you to connect an additional monitor, but I can't see how it would do that. Unless it shuts off your laptop monitor - because I'm pretty sure your GPU can only run two monitors at the same time.
Is your GPU called: Intel Media Accelerator HD? ('Start+R' -> 'dxdiag' -> Yes/OK)