Looking for gaming laptop

CVilleMike

Here are the specs i want and would prefer a well known brand:

-intel i7 quad core
-256GB ssd or hybrid?
-GeForce 960M 4GB
-16GB DDR4 RAM

Ive been looking at Acer Aspire V15 Nitro black but i would b settling for hybrid drive or a dell 7559 which has the SSD but DDR3L RAM. Would it be alot to sacrifice if i were to go down to ddr3l ram or would a hybrid drive be the better sacrifice?

Laquer Head

Here are the specs i want and would prefer a well known brand:

-intel i7 quad core
-256GB ssd or hybrid?
-GeForce 960M 4GB
-16GB DDR4 RAM

Ive been looking at Acer Aspire V15 Nitro black but i would b settling for hybrid drive or a dell 7559 which has the SSD but DDR3L RAM. Would it be alot to sacrifice if i were to go down to ddr3l ram or would a hybrid drive be the better sacrifice?

Do you have a budget in mind?

CVilleMike

That one looks nice to me. Does Dell (non-alienware) carry anything equal to and possibly better than this that you are aware of? I think my mom is stuck on dell. Also willing to spend up to $1500 if I didn't mention that already.

Laquer Head

Not a DELL however

$1549 USD so a bit over but a seriously better machine with a PCIE SSD and 970 graphics

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83TV6219

• Powerful 6th generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz. 16 GB RAM. 128 GB SSD (PCIe Gen3x4) + 1 TB 7200 RPM Storage.
  • 17.3 inches Matte IPS FHD display. 1920 x 1080 resolution. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M gaming graphic card with G-Sync.

Last edited:

CVilleMike

Forgot about weight and probably need 15" screen. What about this dell but only has 2gb video would it make much difference?

Base XPS 15
Operating System Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Processor 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
Memory 16GB DDR4-2133MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5
Display 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge
Wireless DW1830 3x3 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz + Bluetooth 4.1
Primary Battery Dell 84 WHr 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Keyboard Backlit Keyboard, US English
Driver Dell Wireless 1830 Driver (Windows 10)
Cable PowerCord 2.5A 1M C5 E3
Systems Management ME Disable
Placemat Win 10 Placemat
Retail Software Retail Return Label
Packaging Label Dell.com Order
Documentation/Disks Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language)
Packaging System Shipment Material, 5510
Power Supply 130W AC Adapter
FGA Module BERL1703_1630_DAO/US/BTS
Processor Branding Intel® Core™ i7 Label
Support 1 Year Ltd Hware Warranty: Mail-in; Customer supplies box, Dell pays shipping
PalmRest US Palmrest
Operating System Recovery Options Operating System Recovery Media Not Included
Office 2016 - Word, Excel, Powerpoint & more Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
Security Software Upgrade to 3yr McAfee for just $49.99 – a $270 value. McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription
Non-Microsoft Application Software Additional Software
TOTAL: $1,699.99

Laquer Head

Anything else you forgot?? LOL

If your dead set on a DELL than grab it, I personally prefer the 970 graphics card (My MSI has it) but the rest of those specs look great.. especially the 512 pcie SSD!!!!! They are bloody fast!! My MSI has a Toshiba XG3 and its a beast!

CVilleMike

I wouldnt b concerned with brand if I were buying it. what about the dell vs. the first one you sent me? Im just worried about the graphics card but I dont really know anything about them.

Laquer Head

Fair enough. The 960 is a decent gpu and there are thousands of laptops that have it.

I'm just not a DELL fan, but if it works for your budget, and more important the person thats holding the $$$ then its an okay choice!

I like the 970 because its more capable, more VRAM, and just a better GPU, but you also don't wanna skimp on the other parts. A PCIE SSD is hella appealing!! They are FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line, if I'm looking for a gaming laptop, I'm not looking at DELL

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would actually get the 256gb SSD instead of the 120gb. Most people run out of space on a 120gb pretty quick.