Looking for general tips on desktop shopping this holiday season

Does cas latency really make a difference in performance that's noticeable to a layman? That's not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know... my RAM is 1600 but nothing special on the timings, and the Rig seems pretty quick to me, but it's the only one I've really used.
 
I don't believe there's much diff for the most part, when it's 1600 vs 1600. Probly be noticable if you oc or for some applications. Personally, if i was building new and could afford it, I'd get it.
 
Last edited:
It can make a difference, yes. You can get as much performance with low timings as you can with faster RAM. Look at the wPrime thread...I got a faster time with my Athlon II x4 than everyone else got with Phenom II x4's, except for Rocko, who also has rather low timings.

It makes more of a difference if your cpu has a small cache. (or in the case of Athlon II's, no L3 cache)


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
 
I was going to see what you guys thought about something like this:
965 / 89gtd / A-tpn tp750w / GS Rj 4gb1600cl7 / WDBx2 / optical = 650 + ship?
Will it play demanding games with the right gpu?

And what's the verdict on this? It's cf w/sli gpu. I know it's not near the superclocked Gigabyte. Does it make the deal not worth it? And what about Physx?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.549053
I know the i7 950 is more cpu and 200+tax is smokin. And if it's the same socket as the next gen. then that's a +.
 
Last edited:
I do live near the Microcenter in Tustin/Orange (CA), but I can't seem to find the 950 you were talking about... only an 870.
 
Back
Top