Looking for good gaming controller

Kaega2

I'm looking for a good gaming controller that is xbox style with a good d-pad. I currently have one with a design that I love made by mad catz, but this is my second one and they keep failing. Here's a link.

This controller is just like a PS3 controller except the left analog and d-pad actually pop out and can be reversed. For me this was the most awesome thing ever, and I used my first one for 6 months before it failed, the second for 4 months. Mad Catz keeps giving me the run around and I just don't want a third one.

So, any suggestions? Something as close to that one that won't fail would be preferable.

Kaega2

I should probably mention the controller needs to work on Windows XP (I think most still do, but just in case).

Thanks

Kaega2

For me the problem with the Xbox controller is the d-pad. Other than the design of the Cyborg I showed you I do prefer that controller, it was one of the reasons I purchased an Xbox.

A majority of the games I play on my computer require a d-pad. That one just doesn't make the cut for me. Games like Killer Instinct and Street Fighter just don't respond properly for me with it. It's usually suitable for 2D scrollers, but in the same way the analog works almost as well.

Thank you for the reply though.

cracker2

I just use a 360 controller.I never had a problem with the dpad on MS 360 controllers.I can beat mortal combat & eternal champions easy using it.If its alot of fighting games,get a arcade style controller.
Or pre order a xbox one controller,I will be :) .The ps controller might work for you too.For me the ps controller has always had a uncomfortable feel to me,& xb fit like a glove.

I might get this sometime.Its kinda like yours but its a MLG licensed one.I like the cord design & it has 2 different d pads you can use on it.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.253802600&pid=FLF-00091?mr:trackingCode=B6DC5C45-C828-E211-96D6-BC305BEDEAD8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=15196484107&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=43476459187&tid=hxU8rNcN_dc&cid=5250&pcrid=15196484107&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_PLA+-+Xbox+Games&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&origin=pla
http://store.gameshark.com/searchResults.asp?keyWord=MLG&strSearch.x=0&strSearch.y=0

Last edited:

Kaega2

The D-pad still isn't as good. Yeah, I beat Mortal Kombat on 360 using it too. I wonder sometimes if the difficulty of 360 fighting games is lowered because of it.

However, when I use the 360 PC controller vs another controller with a Nintendo/Sony style d-pad, the difference is very easy to differentiate between. The person using the Xbox controller has an obvious handicap. It's fine when everyone is using that controller, but not when other players are using the controls they're most comfortable with.

And I have never had an advantage with an arcade controller. I can pull off the special moves faster with a standard d-pad, and never been beaten by someone using one against me. I do like holding my hands over the buttons, but I can kind of do that with a controller anyway. Plus I'm not only going to use it for fighting games, but it will probably be a big part of it.

But I do agree with the comfort of the PS Dual Shock. I find the analog being down that low makes the controller uncomfortable when playing 3D games. That Mad Catz Xbox controller looks like it would work great, but I want to be able to use it for PC. And I know you can get software to make it work, I think that is what I will have to do. Mad Catz actually made the same suggestion.

An xbox one controller would also be awesome, but I'm sure it will take some time before you will be able to use it on your PC easily. Unless M$ is releasing one immediately for the PC?

Anyway, last words. I did manage to get Mad Cats to give me a THIRD controller. The store where I bought it originally still has these controllers on the shelf for sale. Here's hoping it doesn't die like the last two. If it does I'm definitely getting the Mad Cats xbox controller, or Xbox one if it's workable on PC.

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess I'm just too picky when it comes to my peripherals :/

cracker2

I believe ms will probably have a driver on the release date of xbone.Mad catz emailed me back.They said the 360 ms drivers will work on all mad catz/MLG 360 controllers.