Looking for guidance in choosing parts to build a gaming computer...

Rahful

banned
I'm looking to purchase a computer of my own.

I've been told that buying separate parts and building the computer myself is quite a bit cheaper. Sadly, I haven't a clue on deciphering good parts for bad parts. I've come to this site for complete guidance on what parts to get.

Now let me tell you what I'm looking for. I am looking for a powerhouse rig, mainly for gaming. I demand speed and graphical qualities like none other. I'll need space to hold several games as well as other programs. Said programs need to operate as fast as possible, without slowing down when I have several things going on at once. I'm not sure besides a good internet connection that would influence fast and steady downloads, but I want that too. I need a monitor as well as the desktop, and I have a budget of around 1500-2000 USD.

Thanks for looking and any time you take to help me will be greatly appreciated.

Cleric7x9

you are in luck, you can build a very nice computer for 1500-2000. you should look into getting a multi-core processor, core 2 duo or quad (depends who you ask), an 8800 GTS or GTX, 2 GB of RAM (4gb if you plan to use windows vista), and any harddrive should be fine. i am really tired right now, but if noone else posts links to these by tomorrow, i will do it. good luck, and you have come to the right place!

XxSNIPERxX

banned
you are in luck, you can build a very nice computer for 1500-2000. you should look into getting a multi-core processor, core 2 duo or quad (depends who you ask), an 8800 GTS or GTX, 2 GB of RAM (4gb if you plan to use windows vista), and any harddrive should be fine. i am really tired right now, but if noone else posts links to these by tomorrow, i will do it. good luck, and you have come to the right place!

just curiouse why would he need 4gigs to use vista?? 2 should be enough shouldnt it?

lovely?

4gb is about a month more future proof just like anything else, and people like the prospect of not having to upgrade later. i would say go for a 2gb stick now, and get another 2gb stick later. dont get 1gb's and dont get four gb right now

chupacabra

4gb is about a month more future proof just like anything else, and people like the prospect of not having to upgrade later. i would say go for a 2gb stick now, and get another 2gb stick later. dont get 1gb's and dont get four gb right now

Why would he paid double of the money for a single stick of 2gb and he would get better performance off 2x1gb sticks if he has DDR

Rahful

banned
Ah.

I'm glad for all of the responses, good to know that this is an active forum.

I am hoping for 4GB, however, when you get into talking about these dual channels and ddrs, I'm absolutely clueless.

Cleric7x9, I eagerly await your suggestions.

bluedishwasher

just a note, wait till the 22nd of july when the Core 2 Quad will be $266 then buy it and overclock it or do what you will with it :)

Cleric7x9

^^that looks like a good build. 8800Ultra and 850watt PSU both seem a little overkill to me, but i guess thats personal preference. if you have the money i say go for it!