Looking For High-End Computer

CosmicSea

Hey everyone, Im new here and am looking to buy a High end computer. I can spend about 3 grand if I want to and am looking for any suggestions. I am interested in gaming, video editing etc. I also need a good performance for recording programs "for guitars and drums and such". I also like to use synth programs which take up alot of cpu. Im basiclly looking for the best setup i could get so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I am willing to buy a premade computer or build one myself even though I never have and it sounds a little scary. I want to save money too and thats why im here. I setup a computer on the hp website that came to around 3 grand and I think I could do better. here is the setup i made on hp though.

# Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
# Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-975 processor Extreme Edition (3.33GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI)
# 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]
# FREE UPGRADE! 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
# 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
# LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
# Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
# 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
# No TV Tuner w/remote control
# Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
# Logitech X-540 5.1 stereo speakers
# HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

I am not too familliar with hardware etc, I dont know what is the best so again any help is appreciated.
I am also looking at 27 inch monitors but I have read around the net different things about how they are not too good so I would like to know some thoughts any of you may have about that too. Thanks for reading this. :)

Krysis

You could do better with your V-Cards especially if you want to do heavy gaming/video editing. The GeForce 295 is the best out there right now, or you could go with two Radeon 4890s.

daisymtc

Core i7 975 with slow DDR3 1066 RAM and just 4850??
Waste of money...
I'd rather get i7 920 and OC it.
RAM get min. speed of DDR3 1600
Video card get SLi GTX 275/ CF 4890.
and a SSD for OS and programe.

Last edited:

CosmicSea

Core i7 975 with slow DDR3 1066 RAM and just 4850??
Waste of money...
I'd rather get i7 920 and OC it.
RAM get min. speed of DDR3 1600
Video card get SLi GTX 275/ CF 4890.
and a SSD for OS and programe.

Like i said, Im not familliar with hardware etc but i will look into what you have posted. I just really want a very nice, high performance and graphics pc. I guess i could build a pc if i have to. I know someone who could help me with it if needed. I dont know anything about overclocking but my friend does.

Krysis

You dont have to overclock until you need to. What I tend to do is use my parts till they start to fall behind and then overclock so they are good again. Do you want us to post a newegg build for you?

daisymtc

If you are not going to overclock, don't get i7 975 ($1000). Get the slightly slower i7 950 ($570). i7 920 ($280) is the common one due to its price.

I do recommend you have a look on cyberpowerpc/ ibuypower. They do provide better value than HP.

CosmicSea

You dont have to overclock until you need to. What I tend to do is use my parts till they start to fall behind and then overclock so they are good again. Do you want us to post a newegg build for you?

That would be great if you could post a build for me. I have a 3k budget but would like it to be less than that if possible. I am willing to spend 3k though. I need great quality. I appreciate everyones help. :)

CosmicSea

If you are not going to overclock, don't get i7 975 ($1000). Get the slightly slower i7 950 ($570). i7 920 ($280) is the common one due to its price.

I do recommend you have a look on cyberpowerpc/ ibuypower. They do provide better value than HP.

I actually just got done looking at those 2 sites and couldnt decide on what options I wanted due to my lack of knowledge of different stuff. I will take a look on there again and try to customise and see what i come up with again. Thanks.

CosmicSea

so can anyone help me compile a list of parts to build a computer?
I guess I dont need the best of the best I just want a fast computer capable of multitasking and great for gaming, Also I work with recording programs and midi synths that take up alot of cpu that my 2 ghz Dell windows vista 32 bit, 2gig ram computer cant handle.

I can spend up to 3k but I want to keep it as low as possible but I also dont want to skimp on any good hardware just to save a few bucks.
I am not sure how much ram i will need but I want at least 6 gigs but i would go 12 with the right setup.

Thanks for reading and helping me. :)

Metalflame25

ComicSea. You are customizing this from the HP website, right? You are better off going to ibuypower.com and customizing it there. Alot more options there!

CosmicSea

that looks pretty good to me but while you posted this I was compiling a setup also that i would like a good opinion on.

Case
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black

Cpu
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz

Mobo
EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366

Power supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

Video Card
EVGA 017-P3-1175-AR GeForce GTX 275

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB

CD/DVD
LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW

RAM ???

I dont know if this setup is compatible or would even be better than what you posted but i figured i would post it since i already made it. Im not sure about a good video card and im also not sure about RAM so if this looks like a good setup then i would like some help picking those out.
i want to buy a hd monitor too and I dont know if i need a certain video card for that also.

I would also like to know about what kind of fans i should use.
thanks for all the help i really appreciate it.

CosmicSea

ComicSea. You are customizing this from the HP website, right? You are better off going to ibuypower.com and customizing it there. Alot more options there!

no i decided i will build one myself. it doesnt seem to hard so i thought i would give it a try maybe.

Fatback

VIP Member
that looks pretty good to me but while you posted this I was compiling a setup also that i would like a good opinion on.

Case

Cpu
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz

Mobo
EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366

Power supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

Video Card
EVGA 017-P3-1175-AR GeForce GTX 275

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB

CD/DVD
LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW

RAM ???

I dont know if this setup is compatible or would even be better than what you posted but i figured i would post it since i already made it. Im not sure about a good video card and im also not sure about RAM so if this looks like a good setup then i would like some help picking those out.
i want to buy a hd monitor too and I dont know if i need a certain video card for that also.

I would also like to know about what kind of fans i should use.
thanks for all the help i really appreciate it.

The i7 950 is a wast of money all it is an overclocked i7 920. For a graphics card I would go with a ATI Radeon 4850 x2, 4870 x2, or a 4890 here is a handy chart to show you the performance of each graphics card compared to each other the 4850 x2 and 4870 x2 are not on there though.

CosmicSea

ok here is my new setup i made. how does this look? im not sure about the mobo so i would like some opinions on that. its pretty spendy but if its worth it ill buy it, otherwise ill buy the foxconn flamingblade bodaggit23 posted or something else if someone has any recommendations.

i would just like to know what you guys think about this setup and if i should make it better or use something else or what.

Case

Cpu
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

MoBo: Should i get this one or something else? dont know if i need 750w
EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel

PowerSupply: should i get this one or something else?
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Video Card: This looks good but maybe i should try something else?
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 2GB

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB

CD/DVD
LG Black 22X

RAM
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Or
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB

Monitor: Does this look pretty good? i wanted 27 inch but this seems to have good reviews.
ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG)

OS
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

ok so does that look good? also what RAM looks better to go with? Anything i can buy that is cheaper and give me the same performance etc?
I just want to know anything and everything you guys can tell me. I dont want to buy a bunch of stuff and find out its not too great or something. Also am i missing anything?
Should i get a fan to put in there? again thanks for reading and trying to help me. I dont know too much about this and really appreciate all your thoughts and opinions.

Laquer Head

What about an AMD Quad system??

Look at my signature setup and just beef it up as you see fit!..Give you something to compare?

3.4GHZ quad, 8GB ram, ASUS mobo, single or dual 4890 ati's,..get a 150gb or 300gb velociraptor hdd for windows and a 500gb or 1TB western digital caviar 7200rpm for storage. And unless you are in love with that case--get something else..its kinda ugly IMO.....get a ddr3 mobo..I upgrade my cpu but not the mobo yet.

Its a nice mobo but you will most likely wanna go DDR3 now!

Last edited:

Quexos

I too am looking for a high-end computer.
I plan to wait for 8-core CPU's extreme edition and for the Nvidia 295 card (or whichever is the best at the time I actually do the purchase).

First I thought to get 2x I7-975 but I was told motherboards so far don't take that. I'll just bide my time :)