Looking for my first mp3 player...advice, reviews, ideas, etc.

TMGL&L

I understand that this is a laptops and smart phones forum but I'm figuring a handheld device question would probably fit in this forum.

So as the title implies, I am looking for an mp3 player. I have been passively browsing for a mp3 player and got a bit intimidated so I decided to open my ears to some people on this forum who will know more than me about the topic.

-I don't care about name brands
-I don't care what is popular
-I don't care about on board memory
-I don't care about video or picture capabilities

Now, with that being said, what I do care about are the following criteria:

-price- no more than $45 including shipping (whether anyone can provide me links to an ebay used mp3 player or if I buy from NE or something it doesn't matter to me... I guess I can budge a TINY bit on price but not too much.

-I plan to download mp3's from limewire or something and upload them to my player...I'm not sure if you can do that with the ipod or other players, nut I want to make sure that is possible.

-I want a player with a memory card slot... Either that or a boat load of on-board space... I plan to store a bunch of songs.

-It would be cool if I get other options like voice recorder, external speaker, radio, etc.

-I want to get my product in the next week or two.

-It cant have a dumb operating system... I had a pda once that didn't let you make playlists...like it grouped the songs together alphabetically and played them all that way. And I heard about this one mp3 player that didn't display the track name or time... that's kinda dumb. I heard itunes is totally retarded.

-Overall its gotta be easy to use.

Any links, ideas, reviews, tips, or valid informative input of any kind is greatly appreciated. Below are some players that I found today. Thx.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=node=551242&field-keywords=SanDisk+Sansa+Clip&x=9&y=20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125110

bomberboysk

I understand that this is a laptops and smart phones forum but I'm figuring a handheld device question would probably fit in this forum.

So as the title implies, I am looking for an mp3 player. I have been passively browsing for a mp3 player and got a bit intimidated so I decided to open my ears to some people on this forum who will know more than me about the topic.

-I don't care about name brands
-I don't care what is popular
-I don't care about on board memory
-I don't care about video or picture capabilities

Now, with that being said, what I do care about are the following criteria:

-price- no more than $45 including shipping (whether anyone can provide me links to an ebay used mp3 player or if I buy from NE or something it doesn't matter to me... I guess I can budge a TINY bit on price but not too much.

-I plan to download mp3's from limewire or something and upload them to my player...I'm not sure if you can do that with the ipod or other players, nut I want to make sure that is possible.

-I want a player with a memory card slot... Either that or a boat load of on-board space... I plan to store a bunch of songs.

-It would be cool if I get other options like voice recorder, external speaker, radio, etc.

-I want to get my product in the next week or two.

-It cant have a dumb operating system... I had a pda once that didn't let you make playlists...like it grouped the songs together alphabetically and played them all that way. And I heard about this one mp3 player that didn't display the track name or time... that's kinda dumb. I heard itunes is totally retarded.

-Overall its gotta be easy to use.

Any links, ideas, reviews, tips, or valid informative input of any kind is greatly appreciated. Below are some players that I found today. Thx.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=node=551242&field-keywords=SanDisk+Sansa+Clip&x=9&y=20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125110

*cough* Dont talk about p2p here:p *cough*

The sansa clip is a great mp3 player for the price, i know a few people who have it and have no complaints about it.

JTM

I've owned an Ipod Mini, Nano, Video and my cousin has a Touch. If you are choosing a mp3 player I would recommend Apple's line. I have never had any issues with them and they are pretty durable for day in and day out wear.

I know price is an issue, but I have a Zune 80, and while I love the player, the software is no good. Apple's Itunes is the best software for an mp3 device hands down. I think Sansa and other brands use WMP (which is decent, but close to the Zune software).

TMGL&L

I've owned an Ipod Mini, Nano, Video and my cousin has a Touch. If you are choosing a mp3 player I would recommend Apple's line. I have never had any issues with them and they are pretty durable for day in and day out wear.

I know price is an issue, but I have a Zune 80, and while I love the player, the software is no good. Apple's Itunes is the best software for an mp3 device hands down. I think Sansa and other brands use WMP (which is decent, but close to the Zune software).

While I am a stubborn Microsoft-only fan boy I must say that every ipod I have used and seen are really friggin cool and high quality...

I have read many bad reviews about itunes and have used it a bit. I personally prefer something else if possible. It would be nice to be able to use true mp3 files if possible in my player.

TMGL&L

It is def rly cool. It looks too good to be true... I mean seriously, its awesome. even the website is rly rly nice. One problem I may run into is the large screen. I am a landscaper. I plan to strap this to my arm rather than my pocket, but the bigger the screen the more exposure there is to damage... At least that is my experience.

If this breaks, I will lose $80. I would like something almost expendable.

Good find though...I am def not ruling it out.:)

masterblaster

45$? Why even bother making a thread about it just go down to your favorite computer store and pick something out. It's not like you are buying something expensive that you want to be long lasting.

Go with apple.

Dropkickmurphys

I personally would suggest an iPod...a few years ago I would have been strongly against it... but I picked one up last year and it seems like I never have to charge it...the battery actually lasts forever! It only ever gets charged when I plug it into my computer (which is about 5 mins ever week or so lol!)

JTM

I personally would suggest an iPod...a few years ago I would have been strongly against it... but I picked one up last year and it seems like I never have to charge it...the battery actually lasts forever! It only ever gets charged when I plug it into my computer (which is about 5 mins ever week or so lol!)

I agree, for as much as they are, they are worth every penny.

TMGL&L

I heard poor reviews for the new shuffle... which is in my budget.

and I rly dont want to use itunes on my pc.

TMGL&L

I heard poor reviews for the new shuffle... which is the only one in my budget right now.
...and I don't like itunes...or its constant updates.

TMGL&L

Btw, I need to buy today if I want my toy for this weekend!!!

Buy winter or next year I will probably break down and buy the hippest, coolest ipod or other mp3 player out there, I promise. I might even make a new thread dedicated to it.

I'm acually looking a the centon thumb drive ones now. San disks products look pretty good tho too. And I'm sure and ebay or amazon search could be especially frugal.

TMGL&L

sanza express looks interesting too...especially the price tag and the expandable mem w/the micro sd

Dropkickmurphys

iTunes isn't constantly updated and its probably the best bit of software for MP3 players that you're gonna find.

Apparantly some of the smaller Sony ones are quite good (as long as you dont have to use their god awful software!!)

or take a look at Creative...I have heard good things about them.

TMGL&L

iTunes isn't constantly updated and its probably the best bit of software for MP3 players that you're gonna find.

Apparantly some of the smaller Sony ones are quite good (as long as you dont have to use their god awful software!!)

or take a look at Creative...I have heard good things about them.

I did see some sony products floating around out there I'll check them out. And I agree, creative does have a good name. I'm still looking...

Btw... the sanza clip sound quality has good reviews.
Is there anything wrong with the sansa express? it looks its got all of my minimum requirements and decent battery life evidently. It also doubles as a flash drive which is way cool. I did read reports of glitches and playlist problems tho.....

JTM

I heard poor reviews for the new shuffle... which is the only one in my budget right now.
...and I don't like itunes...or its constant updates.

Itunes is high rated software, I see no issue there. I have used many different kinds of MP3 syncing software, and Itunes is king in my opinion.

speedyink

VIP Member
Lol, the OP should have specified no ipods, maybe he would have gotten more diverse responses :p

I kid, but I think he gets the point, the ipod is an option. Not a very good option mind you, as it doesn't really fit his needs too well, and they are well over his budget.

Sandisk, Sony, Creative, and even RCA in a pinch will work if you really want something affordable. Creative and Sony will have the best sound quality though, as well as good menu systems and no need for any software to put tunes on, just drag and drop.

TMGL&L

Btw... I might be getting a smart phone of some kind (hey! maybe the iphone!) soon which will serve as my only device for everything. It's gotta be a cheap device.