Looking for new linux distro

ducis

Hey,
I'm looking for a free linux distro for text editing, and nothing else.
Minimalism and lack of distracting features (internet games ect.) would be nice.

TY nubs,
ducis

I've used linux SuSE and Ubuntu, both come with Open Office, which is a fine set of office software, comprable to MS Office in every way i've found. It takes more than 24 hours to download linux from the internet but by shopping you can find a prerecorded disk for less than $10, or go to novell for a new one.

bkribbs

I've used linux SuSE and Ubuntu, both come with Open Office, which is a fine set of office software, comprable to MS Office in every way i've found. It takes more than 24 hours to download linux from the internet but by shopping you can find a prerecorded disk for less than $10, or go to novell for a new one.

Ubuntu took me less than four hours to download. Ubuntu is good, but it does have all of the distracting features.

Cleaner

xUbuntu is a lighter version/distribution than original ubuntu and has all needed programms just like the original

Cleaner

edubuntu could be interesting too...

"Edubuntu is a Linux distribution targeted for schools and other educational environments. It is a complete operating system, built on the popular Ubuntu distribution, that includes an office suite, web browser and many educational applications."

Drenlin

Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Yes, it's made for netbooks, but that's just the UI as far as I know...and the UI is pretty cool. It works perfectly on a desktop-sized monitor.

ubuntunetbookremix_1.jpg

chrisb1609

Hey,
I'm looking for a free linux distro for text editing, and nothing else.
ducis

Do you mean editing text files? or using something like Open Office?

If you plan on just editing text files, you might as well install a small distro of BSD and run VIM on it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
This guy is a troll obviously, look at his other threads he creates...

Since we are all nubs I suggest you look into Gentoo, and roll your own Linux.

chrisb1609

Oh wow.

Sorry. I don't want to come across as trying to upset the conversation by mentioning BSD, but my last impression of it is that it can come very plain-jane. The last install I did had no x-server and started in the terminal environment. It's also not too far off of linux.