Looking for Rendering PC. Budget maximum $700. Help guys?

Harley Ben

Hello guys, my friend is looking for a computer which he'd use for rendering purpose. He's an Interior Designer and he'd run AutoCad 3d Max 2015, Sketchup, Grasshopper and other softwares for 3D rendering. His old pc is running slow (Core i3 fifth Gen, 8Gb Ballistic DDR3 ram, 1TB HDD, 2GB grahic Nvidia Quadroo 4000 - old series bought in 2012.)

He needs to max out his PC for more HD rendering and for that he needs a new machine that is capable of delivering what he needs.

Suggestions and recommendations please. Thanks :)

_Glitch

Why not just upgrade it?
He can properly find a compatible core i7 on the used market for cheap.
He could also buy a new motherboard + CPU so he can go for the current gen I7.

Harley Ben

Yeah upgrade is also an option. But the machine should be rendering one. I am having prob finding him a good rendering pc. This is why I posted this question here.

_Glitch

I'll say that highly depend on your country. I'm guessing by your name, that you American.
So i better leave it to someone else to recommend some stores for you.

However, i know if you are shopping for parts. Everyone recommends PC part picker.
It links to online stores where you can find the selected hardware cheapest.
But prebuild computers, i have no idea where it's good to shop.
I have heard good things about NCIX, but that's about it.

Cisco001

What motherboard he got?

I would say get used i7 with same socket. RAM get at least 16 GB.
Probably new GPU or SSD?

Jiniix

You sure he bought 5th gen i3 in 2012? It was released in 2015 :D Must be 3rd gen, or you're talking about the GPU specifically. If 3rd gen:
I would look in to a 4 core / 8 thread Ryzen CPU, a motherboard and 16GB+ RAM. Maybe throw in an SSD for the OS. Should be way less than $700.

If 5th gen CPU:
Upgrade to i7 and add more RAM, maybe an SSD still :)

mistersprinkles

You sure he bought 5th gen i3 in 2012? It was released in 2015 :D Must be 3rd gen, or you're talking about the GPU specifically. If 3rd gen:
I would look in to a 4 core / 8 thread Ryzen CPU, a motherboard and 16GB+ RAM. Maybe throw in an SSD for the OS. Should be way less than $700.

If 5th gen CPU:
Upgrade to i7 and add more RAM, maybe an SSD still :)

Pretty sure he is talking about the GPU being from 2012.

I agree about upgrading the CPU. Maybe go for a Xeon/i7 and go to 16GB of RAM.

Harley Ben

Hey yeah that one is old.

And correction, it is 3rd Gen. Bought it in 2012.

I have talked to my friend, he's has enhanced his budget. Now we have $1,200 in our pocket. I have posted another thread where I have mentioned about Core i7 7th Gen machine.

Getting it this weekend.