Looking to buy first SSD no more than $55 250GB or Above, help suggestions?

Darren

Staff member
If you don't need to save anything just format and install the SSD with a new install of Windows. Once you're into Windows just format the HDD and use it as needed.

It is perfectly possible to have two full installations of Windows on 2 different drives and just pick which one to boot from. Meaning you can just leave your 2TB as is even and just install Windows onto the SSD and pull stuff off the 2TB as needed. Could even split it in half partition wise, move stuff over you need to that partition, nuke the original one, and extend the second to fill the drive. Effectively wipes the whole thing but keep what you need.

If you don't need to save anything just format and install the SSD with a new install of Windows. Once you're into Windows just format the HDD and use it as needed.

It is perfectly possible to have two full installations of Windows on 2 different drives and just pick which one to boot from. Meaning you can just leave your 2TB as is even and just install Windows onto the SSD and pull stuff off the 2TB as needed. Could even split it in half partition wise, move stuff over you need to that partition, nuke the original one, and extend the second to fill the drive. Effectively wipes the whole thing but keep what you need.
I honestly just have like 10 games installed maybe 15 and a few pictures but those are in the cloud so I got nothing to keep. We have 400/mbps download speed and unlimited data so its not an issue to re-download all my games.

Thank you so much for the tip, I had no idea prior.

How about would I go on Formatting the HDD? that's the part I don't understand if you could explain this would help me a lot because that's what i would love to do. Have SSD with OS and important games and then have Clean HDD to install other games and Data.

Let me know please. Thank you so much in advanced!

Thank you Admin!

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Put the SSD in and disconnect the HDD (not required but helps simplicity). Boot off your installation media (probably flash drive) and select a custom install for Windows. It will let you pick a drive, if your SSD is the only one connected it should be there. You can format from within that menu but if it's all unallocated space then the installation will automatically make the partitions once you start the install.

Once your install is finished reboot and load into Windows to make sure it's good. Shut down and reconnect your HDD. It likely will automatically assign it a drive letter, if not just use disk management to do so. Once it's visible in file explorer it's just a matter of right clicking on it and select format. The default options work fine and it'll wipe it pretty much instantly. Easy peasy.

Put the SSD in and disconnect the HDD (not required but helps simplicity). Boot off your installation media (probably flash drive) and select a custom install for Windows. It will let you pick a drive, if your SSD is the only one connected it should be there. You can format from within that menu but if it's all unallocated space then the installation will automatically make the partitions once you start the install.

Once your install is finished reboot and load into Windows to make sure it's good. Shut down and reconnect your HDD. It likely will automatically assign it a drive letter, if not just use disk management to do so. Once it's visible in file explorer it's just a matter of right clicking on it and select format. The default options work fine and it'll wipe it pretty much instantly. Easy peasy.

easy peasy indeed!

Thank you so much Admin! can't wait for it to arrive here. Hopefully is not one of those times the package gets lost and have to wait 2 weeks.