Looking to Buy or Build? Look here first

Moomba

I've been a long time of reader of this forum, but this is my first post. I've been seeing a lot of people asking about buying a new computer and 90% of the replies have been to build your own. So I'm writing this thread to help out, as always these are only my opinon:

Building a Computer:

As anything in life, there is a pro and con to building your own system:

Pro
1. You will save a lot of money, on avg about 15-30%
2. You will get exactly what you want
3. You will feel more comfortable using your system
4. It is a lot of fun =) time consuming but fun

Con
1. You will have to do all the research, advice from other people are always good but in the end you have to do your own research.
2. You may have to deal with multiple vendors if you are looking to save as much money as possible.
3. If a component fails, you will have to figure out which one, and then deal with the vendor or manufacture (dealing with the manufacture is a PITA, I highly recommend a vendor that will replace the parts for you)
4. If you need help, you will have to do research
5. And the hardest part is figuring out what you need/want, there are always a ton of people with lots of different opinon, it will be your job to sort thru them all.

Here is a list of vendors that I very often:

1. Newegg.com - Hands down they are one of the best vendors
2. Tigerdirect.com - Very good but compare prices

Buying a Computer System

Before buying a computer system, the first thing you should do is figure out what you will be using the computer for mainly. Don't get too excited about the initial price that many computer companies (ie dell) show, these are bare bottom requirements. I truly believe this is why people are having such a negative experience with Windows, I've been building my own for the past 7 years and never had a negative experience.

Pro
1. If something breaks, theres only one place to call
2. If you need help, theres normally only one place to call
3. Your only dealing with 1 company versus many vendors
4. You dont have to wait weeks for different parts to come in

Con
1. High mark-up on many places but this is how they make a living
2. Most of them are just factory setting with no eye candy
3. Some companies use very low quality parts or propietary parts (ie dell) which makes upgrading a PITA
4. Some have the worest customer service

Companies that I have dealt directly with

1. Dell - I will never buy a Dell again, very cheap component, over price ( and yet their products are below par and so is their customer service. I normally buy Dells for my parents, mainly due to the fact that they don't use a computer much and its easier and cheaper to get a Dell plus their designed is not over the top.
2. Alienware - Very good product but the markup is just stupid. Your just throwing your money away, unless you really really want their cases, there are other brands out there.
3. Pugetsystems.com - Very nice and friendly people, high markup but extremely nice computers. The designs were alittle bland for my taste but overall I had a very nice experience with their customer service. I might consider buying a computer for them later this year.
4. Northwest Falcon - Overprice PERIOD
5. Toriyacomputers.com - These guys are new. I was introduce to them by my boss. Extremely knowledgeable customer service, I must have sent them a thousand email asking about different computer systems and each one was answered. Although I had to wait about 5mins for a phone conversation, but the guy was very helpful. Got my new computer from them, i believe its called the Rogue EC. i just love the design, markup was about on average for the industry, but the attention to detail was extreme. The inside of the case was beautiful. Very good craftsman. And when I first turned it on....i was blown away, Window's XP looked like a brand new OS. Best of all there was no hidden "upgrades", the price I saw was the price I had to pay. Shipping was a bit slow tho, it took 5 days for it to get to me.

Well thats it, please share your experience with Vendors/Computer makers. Lets also keep this thread informative =) and not just a bunch of kids shouting about who has what.

Mark

Ishval

Wow, and welcome to the forums. You should see to it, by asking a mod, to have it in the announcements.

good job!

curtains

well I fall into the 90% of the people in the forum, I definately thing the 'pros' to building a computer out weighs the cons ...

I've neva had a big issue with hardware breaking down .. (only a few harddrives (all WD))

replacing hardware is faster done by urself...

and even if i did ever buy a computer I'd never call the help line as I can't imagine that they'd be able to help me... they generally only do like basic OS support... and hardware, if its anything big/outa there support they'll tell u to call MS .. which will cost u .. or take it to a comp tech, if they dignose its hardware issue(and once u know ur way around the computer u should be able to figure out too), they'll jst tell u to send it back ..

In saying that, I'm trying to say once u know ur way round the computer.. u pretty much can dignose the issue urself(software and hardware) ... its pretty easy to find where the problems coming from...

umm even if u only shopped from a single vendor ie. newegg.com u'll be saving money prob like 1/2 the price for the same performance. Parts usually don't take weeks to come in unless somethings majorly screwed up .. and if ur buying like from dell for example they take up to 3weeks anyways...

As for part, I donno about u, but for me keep up to date with all the latest hardware so .. for me personally I know what exactly to get wen its time to build a new one or for someone else.. + research is fun ... it helps u make sure u get exactly wat u want and turns u into a semi expert(which i'd recomend eveyone to do research on everything they buy thats like over $50 or has importance to u)

lastly .. most parts u buy will be better quailty than vendors...

some hardware i'd sagest

intel q6600 - cheap good quality quad core
8800gt - great mid-highish end graphics card also at a great price

As for ram stick with ddr2(800) for now as the performance increase of ddr3 is not worth it for the price its selling at .. ddr2 is like real cheap and great

Mobo go with a brand u like... , i personally prefure ASUS, and Gigabyte, neva had a mobo die on me (outa like 20ish compters), make sure u only buy that u need, don't buy a expensive one with lots of features if ur not gona use em .. cause they go outdated and its a waste of money..

DVD roms are all pretty much the same ..

HDD, jst go with how big u want (data storage wise) .., if u want performance go with a 10k or 15k drive .. or if ur rich .. a solid state drive ..

PSU .. though people tend to over look this one .. I personally think this is very important, a bad PSU can cause many issues... including frying ur computer .. or setting ur house on fire (i'm sure it can happen).. so get a good QUALITY PSU .. like silverstone .. or some big name brand are generally good ..

Anyways thats me hope it helps u ... sry bout my poor spelling :)

cohen

i say if you build it yourself at least you get good quality parts and you know what parts are going in and you get it cheaper as well..... that is the way i see it

Wow, and welcome to the forums. You should see to it, by asking a mod, to have it in the announcements.

good job!

won't happen, can tell you now....

neutral666

cool thread. I checked out some of the computers you mentioned. Can you tell me if Toriya computers is just in the states or worldwide? I couldnt find any info about it on their site.

spikebuck77

One thing I would add is to buy your mothboard, RAM, and processor at the same time. It is easier matching components before you buy them than finding out you have an unwanted limitation after you own them.

cohen

an awsome job on the post i agree it should be in the announcements

what on earth for!?

It doesn't need to be in announcements, only mods + admin can do that and i don't see why it needs to be.... otherwise every other thread should be an announcement then! That is just crap! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:

Moomba

Sorry got called in to work early today :/

I absolutly agree that you it is better to build your own computers, out of my 9 computers at home , i bought 2, one from toriya and the other from northwest falcon ( i gave into their paint job, plus my christmas bonus was a lot more then i had though), I use to build my own whenever I can, however I just don't have the time anymore, dont shout at me but at this point in my life it is a lot cheaper for me to order a computer from someone I trust of course then building. My company until recently bought from dell, we have switched over to toriya's( because of their warranty and labor policy) and hp( they gave us a nice discount on racks and servers). although we are thinking about transitioning to all in house later on this year.

However like i said, theres always ups and downs and its better to atleast let ppl know what they can expect.

One thing I would like to add, I agree that you should never waste money on anything that you wont use, especially in the forseeable future, don't try to fully future proof your computer. Specification are almost always changing, better and faster things are coming out, your mobo may support DDR3, but at its current state it is way to expensive and u gain almost no performance, the next generation of DDR3 will be much better, but it might not be compatitble. However I do suggest that you get the best current mobo with all the feature u want and from a good company with good reviews. Do not skim on the mobo. You also wont necessarily get better parts when u buy from vendors, especially if u buy OEM components.

I do not know if toriya is states only, you will have to email them to find out =)

Mark

ps Newegg is awesome, i have done business with them for bob knows how long, they are always great. However sometimes I have to deal with the manufactures directly and its not a great thing =/, on average everything is great, but I also use to build computers for friends/family/co workers and things go wrong.

pss I'm already feeling some heat from some people, calm down :p I wholeheartdly agree that building is better, but not for everyone. And for those that are new to this, I think it would be better if we give them advice from what you've learned, rather then just list a bunch of disagreement. I am just sharing lessons i've learned from my own personal experience. Some ppl build 1000s of computers and not have any problems, me on the other hand =/ but like i've said, newegg and tigerdirect have always come thru for me. That is why I listed those 2 companies at the top.