Looking to purchase new video card, total noob here...

Method9

Wikipedia has a good explanation if you try "PCI card wiki" in the Google. Basically, there were 2 main types of PCI cards: the 3.3V type and the 5V type, each with different notch locations. That card you linked is a kind of 3rd, universal type--it has both notches--meaning it will fit either of the 2 types so you are good to go no matter what your motherboard has.

It seems that the card (Radeon 9250 256 MB) will run Wow, but barely. I'd hate to admit it, but $65 could get you a new Radeon 4650 1GB if you had a slightly more modern system. Unfortunately that is the way it is with PCs and there are slim pickings for a PCI video card these days--perhaps something used off of eBay?

Okedokey

Please post:

1. Budget

2. Intended purpose of graphics card

3. Current Power Supply Unit (look on sticker inside compuer)

4. Download PC Wizard from my sig and install it and run it. Go to FILE, SAVE AS, and click OK. Save the text file and copy its contents into this thread along with answers to 1 -3.

Then we can tell you

what you need
the cost
if you need more power

Aastii

VIP Member
If it is the power supply that came with your computer, you will need a new one, as the unit will not be able to supply your system with enough power if you stick a video card in there

87dtna

Hmm, an 8400gs should be stronger than onboard GFX for sure.

What operating system do you have? And where did you DL drivers from?

Okedokey

Several people have asked for more info regarding the PSU. Please look at the lable on the PSU and tell us the model number. ALthough a very low powered GPU, underpowered 12V rail can cause lower FPS. That card should be getting closer to 20FPS in newer games (http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-2...-Radeon-HD-2400-Pro-review-and-benchmark.html).

ALso go into the bios (usually need to press a key such as del on start up). Find integrated VGA options and switch it off. Then save the bios settings (usually F10) and restart. Also make sure you have the latest Direct X here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en) OS updates and have checked for viruses. I would also defrag my machine. All of these tips are just general ideas to reduce the load on the components when gaming.

Then go to HP and check you have the latest chipset drivers and bios.

Last edited: