Looking to upgrade to 1440p from 1080p. Looking for Monitor recommendations.

Considering upgrading from 1080p to 1440p. Main use will be gaming. Games like COD, Rust, Siege, etc... Secondary for Movies and Youtube.
Looking for 27" only 32 is way too big for me. I hear IPS is superior to VA and TN but have no set preference. There's a lot of options to pick from just want to hear some of suggestions. Would like it to be 144hz but would be okay with a minimum of 120hz at least. Price would like to keep it under $600 but the cheaper honestly the better. Sorry for asking such a broad question but I've been using 24" TN 1080p monitor for 7 years have little experience with monitors. Thinking I'll enjoy the upgrade from 1080p to 1440p specially as I do plan on upgrading to a 3080 next year. Location USA If that's relevant.

Thank you much!

OmniDyne

We have around 10 Dell S2719DGF (1440p @ 144Hz, TN panels) at work. I use 3 side by side.

We recently purchased and installed 3 Lenovo Y27q-20 (1440 @ 165Hz, IPS panel with HDR) side by side.
The S2719DGF provide a superior picture and are much brighter. They're also cheaper.

IPS is supposed to be superior, but I think it largely depends on the manufacturer. I think it's a "IPS is superior, in theory" kind of thing.

I'd look at reviews from reputable reviewer outlets (not reviews from individual purchasers on retailer websites).

We have around 10 Dell S2719DGF (1440p @ 144Hz, TN panels) at work. I use 3 side by side.

We recently purchased and installed 3 Lenovo Y27q-20 (1440 @ 165Hz, IPS panel with HDR) side by side.
The S2719DGF provide a superior picture and are much brighter. They're also cheaper.

IPS is supposed to be superior, but I think it largely depends on the manufacturer. I think it's a "IPS is superior, in theory" kind of thing.

I'd look at reviews from reputable reviewer outlets (not reviews from individual purchasers on retailer websites).
Excellent! appreciate the suggestion. I am narrowing down my options. There's so many 1440p monitors is hard to pick but definitely will consider this one in the top of my options.

Thanks

OmniDyne

Excellent! appreciate the suggestion. I am narrowing down my options. There's so many 1440p monitors is hard to pick but definitely will consider this one in the top of my options.

Thanks
Yeah and work is different than home usage. We have to overcome the bright florescent lighting at work.

I personally prefer the three (3) 24-inch 1080p ASUS monitors I had previously. I find 1440p at 27-inches is too much for my eyes to handle, and 1080p at 27-inches looks terrible.

Intel_man

VIP Member
It all comes down to the colours and viewing angle. Usually the premium IPS monitors offer factory calibration and they provide the documents to prove it.

To me, IPS is the way to go. TN if you're into competitive esport shooters and VA if you can't afford the IPS version.

EDIT: Not gonna lie been reading a lot of reviews on the Dell S2719DGF that was suggested by another user above and now I am torn between that one and the HP one I posted. I guess I'll just get whichever one is cheaper between the two of those.

OmniDyne

It all comes down to the colours and viewing angle. Usually the premium IPS monitors offer factory calibration and they provide the documents to prove it.

To me, IPS is the way to go. TN if you're into competitive esport shooters and VA if you can't afford the IPS version.
That's where the IPS is superior "in theory" plays in. Even after color calibration, there are situations where a manufacturers implementation of an IPS panel provides an inferior experience to a TN panel. Super expensive HP Omens had severe ghosting at one point. There are plenty of videos from reviewers showing a TN panel besting an IPS panel.

It used to be (iirc) that Samsung and LG typically provided the best panel implementation for overall color quality; you can absolutely tell the difference between cheap and expensive VA panels.

I think it comes down to how much you're wanting to spend.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
the ghosting's due to the aggressive overdrive they slap onto the response time to drive down the numbers on paper. Bottom line is, don't expect 1ms response time in most IPS panels as the marketing team loves to claim. Be sure to get into the monitor's setting and set the response time to something in the middle and ghosting's usually not an issue.

I still wouldn't recommend VA to anyone.

I have the Gsync version of this panel and it's super solid even for being a TN panel.
Awesome! definitely my Number 2 pick. Is between this and the HP 27i Omen. Just gonna get whichever is cheaper. Might be worth waiting for black Friday too.

Let's introduce you to another variable.

Ultrawide. Probably well out of your price range, but it's awesome.
Don't really like Ultrawide. Seeing a few models at BestBuy and not what I am looking for. I've spent hours researching and I am pretty sure my best options are the Dell S2719DGF and HP Omen 27i but welcome to other possibilities as well. But I am not interested on Ultra Wide for the time being. (Sorry had to edit a few times)

Last edited: