Losing All My Data (please Help)

During the precess of adding a memory module to my pc, I burned out the motherboeard. It is a very rare one, so my hard drive (HD) can't operate on any other computer. So I was told that I need to get a new motherboard and reformat my HD to go with it. But before reformatting, I connected the HD to another PC as a secondary drive (D) so that I could back up the TREMENDOUS amount of files and folders that I have on it through another operating system. When I go to Documents and setting, then into "abc" (the specific user name under which all my files were saved) it gives me an error message saying that access is denied. My guess is that it is b/c when I used it on the old pc (which has a dead motherboard right now) I used a password to log in. If that's the case, what do I need to do so that I can access "abc" (as opposed to "all users" which I can go into, but my files aren't there) in order to save all my files. PLEASE HELP ME. I cannot afford to lose all that data. By the way the HD operated with windows XP.
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Bobby

WeatherMan

Go to the properties of your drive, have a look to see wheater if is read-only, if it is, just untick the box, should allow you to move the files around:)

Trizoy

VIP Member
If not, create the same id/password on the local machine and then you will have access.

thanks for the replies, but neither one works. Could my problem be because the operating system through which I am logging on (C) in order to read the old HD (D) is different? (C is Win 2000 but drive D is XP)

I just tried hooking it up to an XP system too. Same problem. So I guess that answers my last Q. Does anyone have any other solution ideas? PLEASE!