Losing disk space.

goldengib

Any changes in your disk space?

No change. I am still losing disk space evryday even after Ccleaner, Malware sweeps everyday. I am curious as to why my restore has been turned off and several people seem to think that would be the problem. Any ideas? Is there a chance it is no longer installed? Did any of the Logs show anything strange? I dont know how to read all that stuff. Thanks for the help John

accordlayingkit

I too am having a similar problem. I have a older dell 5100 laptop with windows xp, its been fine until a couple days ago when I had a problem with itunes and had to uninstall and reinstall itunes a couple of times and also had to delete my avg antivirus because apple said that could be my sync problem. Finally got itunes strait but now all of a sudden I have the cdrive low disk problem, I can't install anything not even antivirus nor can I go into control panel add/remove and delete any programs....can't get any updates or anything because it says no space. Im not even sure I can download any of the suggestions john gave the OP as I will try in the morning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You could be infected, system restore is taking up all the space. How big is your hard drive?

accordlayingkit

You could be infected, system restore is taking up all the space. How big is your hard drive?

sorry but how do i find out how big my hard drive is? Im doin the disk clean up on c drive now, it says used space 27.8 gb and free space 4.19mb which has gone up to 40.5 as its still running the disk cleanup

My c: drive in computer management says NTFS, status is healthy, capacity 27.90 gb, free space 133mb 0% free fault tolerace no overhead 0%

Last edited:

accordlayingkit

In a similar fashion to what Johnb35 has suggested, if you're running Vista (and even 7 to some extent) turn off indexing. I lost nearly 50 gigs to that useless service back in the day.

my system restore is already at 5%, is it ok to cut indexing off if im running xp? should i compress drive also? if so to the c drive only or folders as well?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lets start with the basics.

1. Download and run Ccleaner.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

Click where it says download now (2.89mb)

Then install and open the program and click on run cleaner. This may take a few minutes if you've never cleaned out your temporary internet files and system files.

2. Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

accordlayingkit

Lets start with the basics.

1. Download and run Ccleaner.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

Click where it says download now (2.89mb)

Then install and open the program and click on run cleaner. This may take a few minutes if you've never cleaned out your temporary internet files and system files.

2. Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

ok john thanks, ill try the rest of this later as im working 3-11, after disk clean and cc cleaner i have 1.77 gb free now, i had started to take the indexing off but it appread to be taking a long time said 4 days remainign and stuff and i didnt know weather to do c drive only or folders as well so i canceled that part, ill pick up with step 2 tomarrow thanks again

accordlayingkit

ok i have 1.38 gb now after ccleaner and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware...had 9 infected objects got rid of....i noticed on malwarebytes is says register and purchase, do i jus have a free trial or what? im not getting the low disk error and seems a little quicker also. another thing when i right click c drive and properties, should compress drive to save disk space be checked if so for folders also? and should allow index service to index this disk for fast file searching be check, because that one is out of the 2

thanks again

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I need you to post the malwarebytes and hijackthis logs so I can go through them. Also what programs do you have installed? Do you have games installed that take up a lot of space? I would uninstall anything you don't use anymore.

accordlayingkit

I need you to post the malwarebytes and hijackthis logs so I can go through them. Also what programs do you have installed? Do you have games installed that take up a lot of space? I would uninstall anything you don't use anymore.

ok ill do that after the hijackthis part. i have 2 dell laptops and ive done all this on both laptops so far one had 7 infected objects and the other had 9. i dont have any games at all on either just the normal microsoft office.....jus use for web surfing really but not much of that anymore since i got ipads...but ill get back to ya