Losing Internet After Restart - Can't Print

Samtastic

My Dad has a problem with his computer at work at the moment and it's an annoying issue as when this happens he can't print or connect to the internet.

So last year he had his Windows 7 PC's upgraded to Windows 10 all working fine. But starting last week he frequently loose internet connection and he can't print as his printers are also connected to the network.

His Internet is provided by a detachable LAN card on the back of his PC. His technician came in and checked the disks and fixed some errors - but then the problem started again this week. He has a BT Business Hub router that he uses to access the internet. His technician is suggesting he should do a fresh install of Windows 10 since he cloned the Windows 7 installs over to Windows 10.

What do you guys think the problem might be? His PC has a Realtek LAN card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if he has the latest build? In other words, check to make sure windows is fully updated. There were some issues with 10 and not being able to print when one of the updates came out.

Samtastic

Yes he does have the latest build. The thing is his internet works when he restarts his PC but it cuts out again after a few minutes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does he have other machines that get internet and stay connected? Just trying to figure out if it's pc related or internet related. Scanned for malware with malwarebytes?

Samtastic

Yes he has other PC's in his factory that work fine. He has ESET on his PC. Should I run a different something like Malwarebytes on it to see if that would get rid of anything? His wife also has a PC upstairs and that one is working fine. It's just his Skylake PC.

Samtastic

So here's an update: I tried updating the network driver and after a restart the internet works - but then after a few minutes, it looses connection and Windows still thinks it's connected. His IT guy is going to re-install Windows and hopefully that will fix his problem - and I tried scanning with Malwarebytes.