Loss of data

Xpire

Hi guys,

Wasn't sure which section to post this in... but here goes.

Been busy with exams and stuff, but friend had a computer that had problems. They said that every time they restarted, they lost whatever they had saved in that session.
I kind of didn't believe them, but then recently I just formatted the HDD for them, hoping it would fix the problem.

I downloaded the drivers for the video card, motherboard etc (yes, they lost all the installation cds). Then, while installing one of the drivers, the computer suddenly just rebooted without any warning. Got back to the desktop, and all the driver files, which were on the desktop, were all gone!

I also noticed that Firefox asked me if i wished to make it a default browser (again), and the 'Downloads' window in Firefox was completely empty. It's as if that previous session before the restart didn't even occur...

Has anyone had this problem before? Could it be the HDD? I should've gotten around to this problem sooner, it's probably too late to bring it back to the shop for a refund :(

Thanks guys

Xpire

Oh gees, sorry double post. Stupid internet. Can't seem to find a button to delete the thread either. Sorry

ikermalli

Try putting in another hard drive, reformatting that one and putting a clean install of the OS on there and all the drivers, see how that works, if it works fine try adding the other one in and if it crashes again, then we know the problem. If not, it could be the motherboard problem. I'm no expert, just giving my two cents and a bump :)

Dystopia

the computer restarting could be the CPU over heating. download pcwizard(also known as CUPID) at this site: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

check the cpu temps in C. Then post them here. See what the idle temps are and what the temps are when you install stuff etc.