Loss of Space on Hard Drive

IcYiNfErNo

I recently started burning DVDs with DVD Shrink. I would rip the dvd onto my hard drive using DVD Shrink, resulting in use of 4.35 Gigabytes. After I burn it, I would delete the file ripped onto my hard drive, but for some reason, I would "lose" 100MB-500MB every time I delete a movie. In other words, lets say I have 5 GIGs free space, after I delete a 4.35 GIG movie, it would only say 9.05 GIG free, instead of 9.35 GIG free. What happened to the 300 Megs of space?!?

Thanks!

Jimbob1989

banned
I know. I have used a simular program. When i copy dvd's. Other files other than the actual video are left. A bit like tmp files.

Jimbob

IcYiNfErNo

THanks for the replies, but how do i delete the tmp files? I tried making the folder show all hidden files but nothing seems to show up hidden.

Here are some pics to show the problem:

1. All my files are selected, showing 73.6 GIGs used
http://users.cwnet.com/viperboy/harddrive1.jpg

2. But when I check the properties on my hard drive, it shows 84.4 GIGs used.
http://users.cwnet.com/viperboy/harddrive2.jpg

Thats a good 10.8 GIGs used up for whatever reason. How can i fix this?
Oh yea, and rebooting doesn't do the trick :mad:

Thanks!

MJHV666

Im having the same problem though i have only lost 1.7Gig so far.
Have done everything it suggests i do here i cant find the problem and wondered if someone could advise me what to do.
Only have a small amount of space to copy the dvds to and if the problem continues wont be able to copy dvds anymore which would be a travesty.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Check
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp
For all users
:)

MJHV666

think i found the problem.
every time i copy a dvd i end up with files totalling about 300MB in what my recycle bin calls norton protected files.
deleted these and no problems have occured so maybe that was what was wrong???

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
To see the Norton settings, right click on the Recycle Bin and there should either be a option to goto Norton Protected Files option or just goto the Recycle Bin properties and then look for the Norton Tab :)

prestigi

just a note that might help someone. I had this same problem every time I used dvd shrin I would lose about 2 gb. I did every thing I could think of. scandisk, looking for all the files . It was just driving me crazy . than one day it hit me. Having windows xp it was making a restore point with the dvd file in it, every time I put a new one on the computer. making me lose lots of disk space. now before I make a new dvd I turn off the system restore. I hope this helps.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
just a note that might help someone. I had this same problem every time I used dvd shrin I would lose about 2 gb. I did every thing I could think of. scandisk, looking for all the files . It was just driving me crazy . than one day it hit me. Having windows xp it was making a restore point with the dvd file in it, every time I put a new one on the computer
Restore only kicks in when you're making major system changes ... what's more likely with DVDShrink and other programs similar to that is that its making massive temporary files for processing :)