Lost a CPU now a GPU Help please

snwbdrbm

I built 2 computers the same one for me one for my son. His is working very well and mine started out fine but then after about 1 1/2 hours of gaming the screen went black and wouldn't come back on. I had a CPU light on my mother board so after some effort troubleshooting it online, I removed the CPU and could see some brown spots on the bottom of it. I sent it back as defective and ordered a new one. When I got the new CPU, I installed and started up the computer the GPU light came on right after and then the Boot light. I removed the HDMI from the graphics card and installed in the motherboard. The computer boots up after that. So now something is wrong with my GPU. I installed my other GPU from my son's computer, and it works. I'm not sure what is causing the issues or if they possibly just burnt out at the same time. Can someone please help?

Asus Rog Strix B650A wifi gaming
Ryzen 9 7900x
Radeon RX 6900xt
64GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance
Apevia ATX PM1000 W Power supply
Thermaltake TH240 CPU Cooler

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would be worried about that cheap Appevia power supply. You don't need a 1000 watt psu. I would have gotten like a name brand 650 watt.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Damn... an $86 1000W PSU.

I would have gotten like a name brand 650 watt.
650W might be flying too close to the sun with that build. That 6900XT can pull 350W under load all by itself and the 7900X can do around 200W under load.

I'd definitely follow AMD's recommended 750W suggestion on this one and definitely from a reputable brand.

snwbdrbm

This is my first build, so I didn't know how to calculate for the power. I just wanted to make sure that I had enough to run everything and be able to upgrade in the future if I need to. I was thinking the same thing on the power supply. It was rated as good as the more expensive units, and I was trying to save some money. I already have a Corsair RM1000x on order. I just heard some issues with ASUS mother boards in the past and wanted to see if anyone thought it could have been the issue.

Thank you for your responses.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The RM1000x is a good PSU. If it's on order already, I'd stick with that.

If there's known motherboard issues, they're usually limited to specific models. It's truly rare to see the same issue across an entire lineup of that generation, unless your gripes are with how the BIOS is laid out.

Darren

Staff member
Did you ever put your GPU back in and see if it worked after getting it to work with yours sons? Maybe just got unseated when you were in there messing with the CPU.

Brown spots on the bottom of the CPU does not sound right. Didn't happen to get a picture did you?

snwbdrbm

The RM1000x is a good PSU. If it's on order already, I'd stick with that.

If there's known motherboard issues, they're usually limited to specific models. It's truly rare to see the same issue across an entire lineup of that generation, unless your gripes are with how the BIOS is laid out.
I did install the corsair and a new gpu and cpu. So far the computer is working great. The only thing that I find weird is that my computer wont go into sleep mode but my son's will. I put mine in sleep and the monitor goes off but the computer stays running. I put my son's in sleep and everything shuts off like you went Iinto shut down. The only difference in the builds is the case.

snwbdrbm

Did you ever put your GPU back in and see if it worked after getting it to work with yours sons? Maybe just got unseated when you were in there messing with the CPU.

Brown spots on the bottom of the CPU does not sound right. Didn't happen to get a picture did you?
I never tried the cpu again in either computer. I removed and it almost looked burnt with some discoloration on the bottom so I sent it back. The new cpu powered right up and then went straight to a gpu fault. I tried the same gpu in my son's and it wouldn't work then I tried my son's in mine and it worked. I got my new gpu and it works as well. I'm almost positive they both got a power surge and fried. I just don't know what else could explain it.