Lost a file AGAIN!

Dimitri

You may remember my story from a few days back, which is a few threads below this, of a file getting overwritten and lost. Well, you won't believe it, but the worst hard luck guy on this forum is SOL again.

I created a rtf file and was filling it up yesterday with all sorts of notes and reminders when, at the end of the day, my computer crashed. I got that blue screen you get in Windows 10. This morning I open the file up and it's empty!

All there is in it is two paragraph spaces (what you get if you press enter 2x in an empty textual file).

Is there anything I can do in THIS case?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try doing a system restore but doubt it will restore your file, but it may. I would start making backup copies of your files just in case disaster strikes AGAIN....

beers

Staff member
Usually a good strategy is to save every 10 minutes or so, that way you don't lose too much data in the event of similar incidents.

Wordpad doesn't auto save by default like the fully featured MS Word does.

Dimitri

Usually a good strategy is to save every 10 minutes or so, that way you don't lose too much data in the event of similar incidents.

Wordpad doesn't auto save by default like the fully featured MS Word does.

Oh, I literally save after every sentence. CTRL+S is like a tick with me. So, the thing was saved at the time the crash happened, it just got mangled, apparently.

Agent Smith

I wonder if Recuva could find it? You would have to filter for RTF or text docs. Otherwise it will find an abysmal of crap. LMAO!