lost admin password.

Kevoh

I have a friends computer that I'm tryin to fix.
It has viruses in it, and the genius forgot his admin pwd, and has no default admin account. With that said all the cracks I'm finding only tell me how to get it when I'm in admin mode, which is impossible because I'm not.
The only other that I've found needs a blank cd to work and I'm a poor man and a blank cd is out of reach right now.
Now does anyone know what the actual name to the SAM database is or how to find it. Or better yet another way to crack this.
I tried running my Linux live cd but even as root it will not let me mess with anything in
c:\windows\system32 it seems our friends over at microsoft are on top of it.
anyone with ideas?

MyCattMaxx

Keep googling. The answer you are looking for is against the forum rules here.

You could always reformat.

Kevoh

Oh snap,
my fault, I guess some people do actually read the rules all the way.
I just browse through and assume it's common sense like no cussing.
Thanks though.

patrickv

So his data and whatsoever are in the admin acount ?
if so and (let's assume) whoever set up his pc set the account on private.. good luck, might as well reformat.. but if not then just plug the drive in a pc with up to date antivirus protection and do the scan.

I tried running my Linux live cd but even as root it will not let me mess with anything in
c:\windows\system32 it seems our friends over at microsoft are on top of it.
well you can't linux is not windows but anyways, if you can access the data (while using the linux cd) back it up and format the damn thing, you don't have much choice...

however you can remove the admin password .... :p

Motoxrdude

You can access a windows partition with linux. It is not a problem with privileges, its a problem with how the drive was mounted. If you don't feel like messing with the command line you can use mount-nfs in linux. The only problem is you need a GUI to run it.

gazza99

use linux trinity if your not already and wth vid of how to recover password with linux trinity on youtube