Lost keyboard on Win XP log in

Dart77

I tried a search for this but got no joy. Can someone please advise on how I can get my keyboard to work on startup? - sounds simple but has me stumped and pulling my hair out. (Well I would if I had any...)

My main computer is Win 7 but I have heaps of files on the XP machine I need to get to. I didn't do anything, it just suddenly wouldn't let me use the keyboard to enter my user name on Windows startup (Win XP Sp3). But the keyboard works when in pre-windows screen (F8 screen) to select different things, so it's not the keyboard itself, something to do with windows.

Will not work in Windows Safe Mode either.

And I tried the option for "Go Back to Last known Good Configuration" but still does not work.

I am having issues with the XP Activation endless loop where it tells you that you need to re-activate your version with MSoft. And even after you activate it, it tells you that it is already activated and to press OK to continue, but it still doesn't allow you to proceed, goes back to the "Windows needs to be Re-activated" etc etc

So I am wondering if this keyboard lockout is part of this Activation problem?

Any worthwhile advice on this will be appreciated.
Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would just suggest attaching XP hard drive to another machine and retrieve files that way. Sounds like XP is corrupt and not worth any hassle on trying to reinstall.