Low End PSU (1-20$)

Ischinel

There are some that able to last very long and do a very decent job for you though. I remember using one of this unbranded PSU and it lasted me 3 years and still not dead (decided to get a whole new rig though).

But yea, cheap PSU can deal lethal damage on your computer if something is to happen.

MMM

As the old saying goes "you only get what you pay for" but then again a cheap PSU will do the job if applied under the right conditions so do your calculations for power demand carefully.
Try to pick a well known brand if possible as mentioned.

To be honest I've never seen a motherboard fried because of a faulty PSU but I will not say it cannot happen.... Seen plenty of PSU's stop working...

cabinfever1977

I have a 400watt Dynex, around $15 i forget how much but i got it new on e-bay, works great, but its like a grab bag, you might get a cheap one that last for years or one that dies on you or doesnt work at all.

only buy a cheap power supply if the rest of your parts are cheap too, if your buying expensive computer parts get a power supply to match.

billabong27

When my psu in my older desktop went out I picked up a 520 watt for like $30, not a problem since, runs 24/7 (prolly not good for it but meh.)