Low, Mid, High, Ultra End Builds! (Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam

Hi all!

I'm sure a lot of you know how to build computers, as it is pretty simple, but I know a lot of people also post threads like "what to build for max fps" and "what do I need to run Game x, y, z". So I devised a plan. And that plan is to make a low to ultra build, basically 4 builds for the 4 "tiers" of gaming, emphasis on gaming as I do not know much about video rendering and editing etc requirements. So below are a low to ultra build 'series', excluding monitors, optical drives and OS versions as they do not really impact the quality of your gaming experience (obviously a monitor does but it's almost a 'standard' nowadays to have a 1080p monitor or even higher for gaming). Unfortunately the prices aren't exactly specific, but you can expect the following: Low: $450-$650, Mid: $651-$850, High: $851-$1520, Ultra: $1540-$3000. This is my first "guide" so please rate me and let me know what you think!
**PRICES MAY VARY**

Low: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v3WKmG - $647.41 "The Cyclops"

Mid: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hFTjxr - $
824.2 "The Thunderbird"

High: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qxLpsY - $1499.99 "The Wraith"

Ultra: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6TQLTW - $2959.42 "Darth Maul"

Obviously most people who want to start PC gaming or who are just looking for a casual, relaxed experience where they do not really care what fps they get as long as it isn't N64 standard, will choose the mid tier, as my rig looks similar to that and I am able to get good performance on a level I am satisfied with. Please give me your feedback and even tweak a build and share with me what you think should change! I want people looking for a build to be able to come straight to our forum and find a thread like Johnb35's and learn how to build a computer, then coming to mine and seeing where they can start and what will suit their needs. Thanks again guys! :)

Darren

Staff member
*cough* That how to build a computer thread is mine actually. :D

Lists look alright. We've tried guides like this in the past but it's impossible to keep up with modern hardware and everchanging prices. Also people's build lists are frequently tailored to a specific need or want. For example, some people might not want to spend money on the SSD and put that money instead towards a stronger graphics card, a water cooler, or whatever else they might want. Don't get me wrong, it's an honorable guide, but it's just not really feasible to keep it regularly updated.

kam

Lists look alright. We've tried guides like this in the past but it's impossible to keep up with modern hardware and everchanging prices. Also people's build lists are frequently tailored to a specific need or want. For example, some people might not want to spend money on the SSD and put that money instead towards a stronger graphics card, a water cooler, or whatever else they might want. Don't get me wrong, it's an honorable guide, but it's just not really feasible to keep it regularly updated.

Thanks for your comment! And yeah I know, this was more of just a 'general' guide, for people who don't really know much about computers other than how to start it up and play games. And yeah, I'd have to be a robot to keep up with the everyday updates of hardware, I just wanted to try it and see how people liked it! And yeah, I know a lot of people focus on one thing like a GPU compared to memory or storage or something else. Thank again for your comment, I'll be sure to take your advise in the future :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
As Darren said, because of fast changing hardware and buyers choices, threads like this are pretty useless.

Reactions: kam

ninjabubbles3

I tried doing this once, making a build every 100 dollars from 300 to 1500. After new GPUs came out, I kinda gave up on it.

One thing I couldn't do properly was explain why I picked everything.

Good luck on yours though!

Reactions: kam

kam

I tried doing this once, making a build every 100 dollars from 300 to 1500. After new GPUs came out, I kinda gave up on it.

One thing I couldn't do properly was explain why I picked everything.

Good luck on yours though!

Thanks! I only did this for a little fun. I'm sure if I reeeeeeally wanted to keep an updated guide I could, but I have a real job haha...Thanks again! :)

C4C

Darren is absolutely right. I tried to make a guide like this and it failed terribly. Within 2 months of making the builds, they had dropped in price $50-100 and some components were no longer available.

It's a high maintenance thing that could be done when somebody is ready to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.