low static sound

krz

Hello all,

I just recently realised that my laptop is emitting a low static sound. It comes and goes so often.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my hardware? Maybe CPU?

To be honest I find it quite annoying.

Laptop's model is similar to the one located at:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...d=76204&_LOC=UK

Any feedback will be apreciated.

Krz

krz

When im playing something on the background (without sound) like a movie or something, the static goes away. Its just when the computer is idle that the static comes, in my opinion.

Is this a problem?

Just got the laptop on Dec 2004 btw. So warranty is still good. But dont know whether this problem is justifiable enough for the warranty.

EDIT: actually the static sounds still comes when i play things (mp3, movies in mute) on the background.

Last edited:

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
it may just be the qaulity of speakers or the quality of music and video. dont have the volume up full, have it on bout 90% or it can mess up the speaker quality for good

krz

Similar model of laptop is located at:

Laptop link

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-A217M

I made sure my speakers on the laptop were off, by setting the sound settings to mute, so I dont think its the speakers that may be causing the static sound.

Last edited:

samstown22

i had the same problem when after i moved once. i think part of it was just my location. not only did my speakers give off static, i also intercepted CB transmissions as the truckers drove by. :/
after i moved again the static stopped.
another possible solution could be that the onboard speakers on your laptop may have been damaged. a sudden burst in usage (such as unexpectedly high volume levels) can cause minor ruptures in the surface of the cone which could cause static as you mentioned.

krz

samstown22 thats weird. I only realised this when I recently moved aswell.

I dont think its my speakers, might be the location ...

However, how could CB trasnmissions create a low static sound from a laptop? I was thinking that it might be CPU related.

What do you think?

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
krz said:
samstown22 thats weird. I only realised this when I recently moved aswell.

I dont think its my speakers, might be the location ...

However, how could CB trasnmissions create a low static sound from a laptop? I was thinking that it might be CPU related.

What do you think?

VERY UNLIKELY. It's likely to be interference (external). Did you consider the CPU fan?

JAN :D

krz

jancz3rt said:
VERY UNLIKELY. It's likely to be interference (external). Did you consider the CPU fan?

JAN :D
Its hard to imagine a CPU fan emitting static sounds, afterall, it is just a fan. Until now, Im still convinced that it might be the CPU itself

kobaj

VIP Member
It aint your cpu, All speakers(even mine(all 6 of them) emit a small static when there is nothing going through them. Nothing you can do but most only emite a noticible static when there turned up real loud try turning them down a little.

krz

Ive placed my speakers on mute, or lowered the volume to even zero. Still get the static.

I have a usb external hard drive and when ever I plug in the device I hear static from it, which is normal for some external hd's. The static thats coming out of my laptop is probably 4-5 times quieter. Maybe its no big deal, however I have never gotten this kind of experience with other recently owned laptops. If it isn't a big deal, is it normal? Maybe something I shouldn't worry about?