M.2 compatibility help?

mikedeuk

I've just heard about M.2 slots for SSDs and its blown my mind, Firstly the speeds and then the amount of different form factors they come in. The prices seem to have fallen to a reasonable level now.

I'm looking at the Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 250GB.

My question is, what motherboards would be compatible with this? And able to boot from M.2?

I'm hoping to find a good AM3 board to take advantage of it if possible?

E.g i know the ASUS 990FX has a M.2 slot after R3.0, would that work well?

Laquer Head

Easiest way is to find a board you like with M.2 capability...head to the official manufacturers website and look for the specs/features section or support/drivers/BIOS etc section. Anything Intel Z97---> will almost certainly have bootable M.2, however my old MSI Z97 board had M.2, but only for a wifi module or storage solution - it was not capable of booting from an M.2 - and lord knows I tried many different samples.

In regards to the board your talking about.. which Asus 990FX chipset board are you referring to? Also, unless you own this board already and just want to try it out, I wouldn't be purchasing anything AMD that isn't AM4 at this stage of the game...everything else is old tech.

The Samsung 960 EVO is a great M.2 SSD.. and NVMe gen3 at that, so paired with a gen3 speed capable slot on an appropriate motherboard your getting speeds, 4-5x over a standard 2.5" SSD (ex. 850Evo) The thing to know is like alot of things - Not all M.2 are created equal.. older boards might have an M.2 slot but it may be only for a WiFi module, some might be only capable of gen.2 speed (10g/sec), some are Sata and some are PCI-e, as well some support 1-2 sizes (lengths) so support 4 (lengths) or more.

The 2280 designation in the description of the Samsung module you mentioned tells us that it has a width of 22mm and a length of 80mm. Most retail standard drives are gonna be 2280, but again..not all.. Some larger capacity storage oriented M.2 are 22 in widths but 110mm long, for example.

If your looking to build a new rig, or at the very least - update your current to take advantage of M.2 SSD tech, I'd recommend getting set up with an AM4 ryzen-based AMD system, or an Intel 6th/7th Core i5/i7 system....with capability for NVME PCIe M.2 devices that run at full 32g/sec (gen3).

If any board you look at has M.2 but its SATA based, you will be capped at the same speed as a regular 2.5" SSD and unless you are super crammed for space - it makes little to no sense as the performance/speed difference is essentially non-existent.

Note: My board, for example is an Intel Z270 chipset board (Maximus IX Hero) and has 2 M.2 slots on it. One is PCI-e capable only, and the other is capable of either SATA or PCI-e devices...this gives me the choice to run 1 windows SSD and 1 storage SSD, dual windows RAID setup (using dual PCIe devices), or just using the SATA slot for a large storage drive. Lots of flexibility in many of the new platforms, whether you choose Intel or AMD.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Does AM3 boards even support the NVME standard? Because there's no point in getting a M.2 SATA ssd device.

Agent Smith

You always want to look at the motherboard compatibility list at their website. This is also true for RAM.

Laquer Head

I don't think I've ever seen an AM3+ board with M.2 support but I could be wrong.
Asus pro gaming aura... 970 chipset I think its called.. although I dont know if it was sata m.2 for, say a wifi module.. pretty sure gigabyte and msi had a few AM3+ boards with M.2 - just unsure on the type.

mikedeuk

Easiest way is to find a board you like with M.2 capability...head to the official manufacturers website and look for the specs/features section or support/drivers/BIOS etc section. Anything Intel Z97---> will almost certainly have bootable M.2, however my old MSI Z97 board had M.2, but only for a wifi module or storage solution - it was not capable of booting from an M.2 - and lord knows I tried many different samples.

In regards to the board your talking about.. which Asus 990FX chipset board are you referring to? Also, unless you own this board already and just want to try it out, I wouldn't be purchasing anything AMD that isn't AM4 at this stage of the game...everything else is old tech.

The Samsung 960 EVO is a great M.2 SSD.. and NVMe gen3 at that, so paired with a gen3 speed capable slot on an appropriate motherboard your getting speeds, 4-5x over a standard 2.5" SSD (ex. 850Evo) The thing to know is like alot of things - Not all M.2 are created equal.. older boards might have an M.2 slot but it may be only for a WiFi module, some might be only capable of gen.2 speed (10g/sec), some are Sata and some are PCI-e, as well some support 1-2 sizes (lengths) so support 4 (lengths) or more.

The 2280 designation in the description of the Samsung module you mentioned tells us that it has a width of 22mm and a length of 80mm. Most retail standard drives are gonna be 2280, but again..not all.. Some larger capacity storage oriented M.2 are 22 in widths but 110mm long, for example.

If your looking to build a new rig, or at the very least - update your current to take advantage of M.2 SSD tech, I'd recommend getting set up with an AM4 ryzen-based AMD system, or an Intel 6th/7th Core i5/i7 system....with capability for NVME PCIe M.2 devices that run at full 32g/sec (gen3).

If any board you look at has M.2 but its SATA based, you will be capped at the same speed as a regular 2.5" SSD and unless you are super crammed for space - it makes little to no sense as the performance/speed difference is essentially non-existent.

Note: My board, for example is an Intel Z270 chipset board (Maximus IX Hero) and has 2 M.2 slots on it. One is PCI-e capable only, and the other is capable of either SATA or PCI-e devices...this gives me the choice to run 1 windows SSD and 1 storage SSD, dual windows RAID setup (using dual PCIe devices), or just using the SATA slot for a large storage drive. Lots of flexibility in many of the new platforms, whether you choose Intel or AMD.
Thanks for the advice guys, excellent tips and i have a much better understanding of what i'm looking for now.
The only thing left bugging me is the disapproval of AM3(Mainly because it means i will also have to replace my Nepton 280L £££). What are the benefits of AM4? Why is it so much better?
I guess your saying a low spec AM4 will probably blow a high spec AM3 out of the water?
All i can think is that i may struggle to find a gen3 speed AM3 motherboard, so that would sway me to upgrade anyway.

IF the AM4 chipsets really are so much better i guess i could just forget about any future OC, sell my liquid cooler, and buy a good value heatsink/Ryzen combo ....and end up with something that performs better than a wound up Phenom 2!?