.m4a to .mp3 or .wav?

piercwc

Here's my situation..My custom build has Vista for the OS and I'm running Home Premium. I am crazy about Windows Media Center so I'm going to base my A/V system in my apartment next year around it. However, my 30GB music library is 50/50 .mp3 to .m4a because my laptop is centered around itunes and my iPod. I can play .mp3s on WMC but no .m4a.

My question is should I convert my 2500 .m4a files to .mp3 or .wav? I have tons of space on my HD and I'll be running my music through a digital card to a 7.1 system. Which format will sound better on the 7.1 system? I know wav is huge compared to mp3 because it is a lossless form, but will it be worth it to convert it to wav or should I go with an all .mp3 system for my 7.1 reciever?

MosIncredible

Don't convert to .wav. Lossy to WAVE doesn't increase quality, it would only take up more space. .mp4 to .mp3 will also reduce quality.

MosIncredible

Do you have the CDs of all of them? The absolute best way to go about putting your music on your PC is ripping from the source (CD) to FLAC (or another lossless codec but I use FLAC), and if you want compressed versions for smaller hard drives, use LAME to convert to VBR mp3.

MosIncredible

Then what format should I use to keep the quality?

I have dBpoweramp

Also, your best chance of keeping the file's m4a quality would be to convert to a high bitrate mp3 like 320 so the mp3 codec won't try to compress the file too much, but this will also be taking up a lot more space and not offering great quality. It will not sound like a 320kbps mp3, and you'll still be lucky if it sounds like whatever quality the m4a was. Lossy to Lossy is a no no in the sound quality world

piercwc

Also, your best chance of keeping the file's m4a quality would be to convert to a high bitrate mp3 like 320 so the mp3 codec won't try to compress the file too much, but this will also be taking up a lot more space and not offering great quality. It will not sound like a 320kbps mp3, and you'll still be lucky if it sounds like whatever quality the m4a was. Lossy to Lossy is a no no in the sound quality world

screw it, I'll just go all mp3. I just ordered a nice sound card and I intend on buying a nice receiver with some large tower speakers

Mr soft

I´d go with mp3 . For all round compatibility

I recorded all mine with audiograbber, free program . also lame 3.98 beta
using vbr max 320kbps . The sound is incredible . If you want I can send you an easy install and use guide that I´ve done.