Mac and Windows Cable internet sharing.

heinzbitte

Mac and Windows Networking.

I am sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't find it in the search.

I have adelphia internet and both windows xp and mac. I would like to use the internet on both. If I were to get cat6 cables and a gigabit ethernet card for my windows, would I need a special router and cable modem for the best speeds. Someone I knew said they got a gigabit router, but I can't find any anywere. Could someone please tell me what kind of router I would need and if the cat6 ends(plugs) the rj45 ones are the same as for cat5. And if I would have any problems using cat5 cable to the mac and cat6 to the windows.

Thanks.

Also I am new but I will post in other places after I got my help, because this forum seems pretty good.

Last edited:

heinzbitte

Ok thanks. I think I will just get the cat6 cables from new egg and a 10/100 mb router. I am going to put the ends on the cable my self but as for wiring, no. It is going from a basement to the second story. My fathers(I am only 16) friend is an electriction so he will do it. Also he wanted to run another cable hook up to a few rooms,mine included, and they could use the same whole thing for the ethernet and cable.

computerdude2004

You won't have a gigabyte network if you get a 10/100 mb router. If you get a 10/100 mb router you really don't even need CAT6 cable, you can get something like CAT5 cable.

heinzbitte

I got it and it works fine for sharing internet, and I just set up a network and it shares files fine. What I was wondering is if anyone knows how I can share the printer. It is hooked up to the Mac OSX.3 and I would like to be able to print off of the windows without having to put the file on the mac then print using the mac. Thanks.