Mac AntiVirus

CopperKid

Hey everyone!!

Well my Girlfriend just got her new mac for the up coming university year and i was wondering if she should look into getting some sort of anti virus or any thing for it (Freeware), something like Avast or spybot for windows

Thanks in Advance
Copperkid

headshot0123

Yea you should. It's always a good idea to have some extra protection. If your looking freeware then go with Avast. I personally don't use it but a lot of my friends do and they say it's great.

G25r8cer

I DO NOT recommend Avast. It seems to be a system hog just like norton. I recommend AVg or Nod32.

chibicitiberiu

Wait, wait wait a second. Viruses?? Mac??

There are about 10 viruses out there for mac, and Apple always offers updates for extra protection, just like Microsoft does for Windows: they offer free security updates for protection against some viruses. In Windows you always need an antivirus program, because viruses keep appearing, and there are maybe thousands of known viruses. In Mac's case antiviruses are not required, because there are very few viruses (MacOS X is an Unix-based operating system, and is one of the safest operating system in the world). I also keep thinking about changing my OS from windows to an Unix-Based operating system, but I still need and use lots of programs that are only available for windows.

GSAV55

Wait, wait wait a second. Viruses?? Mac??

There are about 10 viruses out there for mac, and Apple always offers updates for extra protection, just like Microsoft does for Windows: they offer free security updates for protection against some viruses. In Windows you always need an antivirus program, because viruses keep appearing, and there are maybe thousands of known viruses. In Mac's case antiviruses are not required, because there are very few viruses (MacOS X is an Unix-based operating system, and is one of the safest operating system in the world). I also keep thinking about changing my OS from windows to an Unix-Based operating system, but I still need and use lots of programs that are only available for windows.

wine
________
Live sex

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
There are ZERO known self propagating viruses in the wild for OS X. You don't really need it. The trojans and malware out there now are socially engineered onto your Mac. You have to give it permission to install.

So, don't download software from unknown or untrusted sources. Always check what you install is valid. You should be doing this on the PC anyway with Windows since it is way worse. However, most computer users don't ever check they just click and give it permission to install, which is how they get you in the first place.

I don't have any anti-virus on any of my Macs at all. Haven't got a single virus on OS X ever. I know there were classic OS viruses but I never saw any of those either, just read about them.

sho95

You need Anti virus not for you but for your friends that may have windows. You could infect some one else by forwarding emails or just sending a file that was infected. I have a free one that I think I go from APPLES own website check out the download section.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You need Anti virus not for you but for your friends that may have windows. You could infect some one else by forwarding emails or just sending a file that was infected. I have a free one that I think I go from APPLES own website check out the download section.

Even then you have to attach it yourself. Like I said previously, there is no way for a virus to self propagate on OS X, and Windows viruses obviously can't do that to begin with.

It is possible, but the Mac user would have to send it out them self or forward it to the people for them to get infected.

Irishwhistle

There shouldn't be any need... I can't say anything from experience, but I've used Linux for about two and a half to three years (which is UNIX, like Mac) and have not had ANY problems with viruses... I've never even heard of anyone having problems with viruses on it. From what I've heard, Mac is no different.

So, if it were me, I wouldn't bother with it...

Last edited:

sho95

tlarkin
Like I stated if they forward such file with a virus. They would have never known they had sent such file. There for I would be better to get an ANTI VIRUS. Better safe that sorry.

e837c417e5b2e17f

Macs do not need antivirus. Nor do Linuxes. No, it's not worth it to be safe from one of the 10 impossible-to-get viruses that exist for Mac.

As long as you're not one of those AOL-using moms that forwards everything of a non-personal nature that goes through their inbox to all 239 people who they have email addresses for, who has no regard for the time and attention of anyone on the internet, you don't need an antivirus to scan attachments either. Personally I never forward anything anyways.

I don't think a Mac antivirus would look for Windows viruses anyways.

Now, if you've got Wine for Mac, you may like to have some antivirus and antispyware stuff in the Wine environment. In which case, just use whatever you'd use in Windows.

sho95

If the world was perfect than your correct e837c417e5b2e17f but guess what? it is not. Does a virus exist for mac's? Yes
Can A mac still send virus to none mac user and possible infect those? Yes
Can you get free ANTIVIRUS for mac? Yes
SO WHY NOT GET IT.