Mac Book Pro HDD to SSD Clone

B_Wease

Hey guys i'm looking for some information on cloning my current 750HDD on my Mac Book Pro Late 2011 to a 158gig SSD. I have currently windows also installed on my HDD via boot camp. I'd like to not have to take my macbook in to the store to have them transfer the data, i'd prefer to do it myself. My question is, Is there a program that i can download that will transfer my Mac OS and my Windows 7 OS on the partitioned HDD to the SSD? Or will it be 2 separate cloning steps?

Hope this makes sense.

DMGrier

VIP Member
cloning software does what it says which is clone your HDD exactly as is to the new HDD or SDD. I have no experience with Apple software but I did some searching for you and I found these two, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Issue is neither of these can do NTFS so you might lose your Windows.

Last edited:

B_Wease

Thanks for your reply! I ended up going with superduper, in the process of cloning it now. I'm just gonna do a fresh install on bootcamp. don't have too many important files on there anyways. Just misc applications that I need for work that aren't compatible with mac.

DMGrier

VIP Member
No problem man, wish I could have helped you with the NTFS clone but not very fluent in the ways of Apple products. There use to be a few true Apple users on here when I first joined but I don't know what happened to them and I can tell they are gone cause there are very few if no more debates on whether someone should buy apple or Microsoft products on here anymore. Hope the cloning goes well for you.

Okedokey

Run the cloning software from windows and select a bit-by-bit copy. The HDD and SSD will be exactly the same then.

cjmarsh81

Why do you need cloning software?

1. Perform a time Machine backup
2. Swap HDD's
3. Boot from Mountain Lion Disk and restore from Time Machine.

I'm not sure Time Machine would bring the bootcamp install back however I think it will.