Camera
Media remote
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
backlit keyboards
SMS sensor
other hardware specs
size
weight

Then look at replacement cycle and maintenance cost. How many people buy new Macs every year or two versus people that buy new PCs? If you can't find a PC part to match the Mac then you got to deduct that cost from the Mac to make it a fair comparison.

Ultimately, it comes down to preference, but to say they are over priced is just plain wrong. They are not over priced, they are high end machines. It would be like comparing a honda civic to a Porsche.

you keep saying that like windows machines are low end. there ARE very nice windows computers that are far superior to any mac. if your going to make comparisons, then yea your mac can be a porsche. but if your mac is a porsche, this is a windows machine with i7 965 and 12 gigs of ram running windows 7:

[YT]BuRrleV9QWU[/YT]

Droogie

That is what a specification is, the bells and whistles, like:

LED back lit screens
High resolution screens
ABGN wireless
FW 400 and FW 800
Camera
Media remote
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
backlit keyboards
SMS sensor
other hardware specs
size
weight

Then look at replacement cycle and maintenance cost. How many people buy new Macs every year or two versus people that buy new PCs? If you can't find a PC part to match the Mac then you got to deduct that cost from the Mac to make it a fair comparison.

Ultimately, it comes down to preference, but to say they are over priced is just plain wrong. They are not over priced, they are high end machines. It would be like comparing a honda civic to a Porsche.

uhh, well i'm not saying it's overpriced. i'm talking about the hardware. i'm on apples site looking at an imac for over 3 grand. all i'm saying is that i could build a pc including a monitor keyboard etc. for a thousand dollars less, at least with the exact same specs (hardware).

not trying to get into an argument with you, i just don't see how 3,250 is a good price.

just a noob

spam

panda-knight.jpg

tlarkin

VIP Member
you keep saying that like windows machines are low end. there ARE very nice windows computers that are far superior to any mac. if your going to make comparisons, then yea your mac can be a porsche. but if your mac is a porsche, this is a windows machine with i7 965 and 12 gigs of ram running windows 7:

Just because it has the newest hardware you are still paying more, since the new hardware is way more expensive which totally defeats the argument that Macs are over priced. You can't even debate properly.

What is your stance now? Are they over priced, or is it the fact their i7 model is not out yet? What is your point?

Compare Alienware to a Macbook Pro, which is over priced?

12 gigs of RAM, WTF would 12 gigs of RAM be used for to an end user? LOL, that isn't even an argument, that is just plain stupid. There have been Hollywood movies edited on Macbook Pros, which only boast 4gigs of RAM. 12gigs of RAM, what are you a node on a rendering farm?

tlarkin

VIP Member
uhh, well i'm not saying it's overpriced. i'm talking about the hardware. i'm on apples site looking at an imac for over 3 grand. all i'm saying is that i could build a pc including a monitor keyboard etc. for a thousand dollars less, at least with the exact same specs (hardware).

not trying to get into an argument with you, i just don't see how 3,250 is a good price.

You referring to a Mac Pro? Those are dual Xeon processors, which are not cheap, and neither are dual Xeon Motherboards. I think you have your Macs/parts confused. No way you could build a dual Xeon machines for $1,000 less than a Mac Pro.

JTM

Apple releases an update to fix a bug, OS X x86 project hast o reverse engineer that update to make it work on non Macs. So yes there is a margin of error and Macs are designed and optimized to run on Apple hardware, so yes there will be margin of error there too.

They actually have it so that the hackintosh can update through valid Apple. Thanks.

My case still holds, there is no reason to purchase a Mac. You can go on all you want about nice screens and all that junk, but I'm fine with my 19' widescreen LCD. But when it comes down to it all the hardware is the same so why pay more. And why pay more for an open source OS re-hash?

Also if you would like to further look into Hackint0sh I believe lifehacker has actual builds that run it perfectly without any flaws.

/\E

They actually have it so that the hackintosh can update through valid Apple. Thanks.

My case still holds, there is no reason to purchase a Mac. You can go on all you want about nice screens and all that junk, but I'm fine with my 19' widescreen LCD. But when it comes down to it all the hardware is the same so why pay more. And why pay more for an open source OS re-hash?

Also if you would like to further look into Hackint0sh I believe lifehacker has actual builds that run it perfectly without any flaws.

Ok... Since you know so much about OSx86, then how many machines will work with it? Lifehacker might have 3-4 machines(ooh-ahh) that run it, but I will tell you from my experience that it almost hates the world. It's best ran on Apple hardware.

It's a PITA! I've tried it, been there and done that, I even have the t-shirt.

It's not an 'open source re-hash', you'd know this if you'd went any further than the interface and fanboy articles.

Nobody is going to argue about nice screens, although they are pretty slick.

JTM

Ok... Since you know so much about OSx86, then how many machines will work with it? Lifehacker might have 3-4 machines(ooh-ahh) that run it, but I will tell you from my experience that it almost hates the world. It's best ran on Apple hardware.

It's a PITA! I've tried it, been there and done that, I even have the t-shirt.

It's not an 'open source re-hash', you'd know this if you'd went any further than the interface and fanboy articles.

Nobody is going to argue about nice screens, although they are pretty slick.

How is it not a "re-hash" it's built off of Unix/Linux and you can find many of the features it has in any distro of Linux. Not saying it's shit, I'm just saying. Also what is wrong with Hackint0sh running perfectly on 3-4 machines? If a user wants Mac and can get it fully functional for cheaper and better hardware, then I congratulate them.

And since I have used it how am I related to fanboy articles. I haven't said anything angrily towards you, I just stated that they aren't worth the price.

They are for people that don't know any better.

lovely?

How is it not a "re-hash" it's built off of Unix/Linux and you can find many of the features it has in any distro of Linux. Not saying it's shit, I'm just saying. Also what is wrong with Hackint0sh running perfectly on 3-4 machines? If a user wants Mac and can get it fully functional for cheaper and better hardware, then I congratulate them.

And since I have used it how am I related to fanboy articles. I haven't said anything angrily towards you, I just stated that they aren't worth the price.

They are for people that don't know any better.

i have to agree. i would rather pay my $1200 and get a PC instead of spending $2000 on a computer with worse specs. and anyways, i haven't spent anything near even $100 on software for my PC. (but guess what... i have photoshop)

Faded Orion

As a Graphic Engineer, (Digital Artist as some people call it) I use whatever I can get my hands on, I roll best on the program designed for the job, mac, Pc, whatever.

hehe hard to complain when both seem to provide about the same for me.

Mouse sensitivity is pretty much all I care about, frame rate is necessary for makeing videos I supose but I'm not into film making.

Last edited:

Droogie

You referring to a Mac Pro? Those are dual Xeon processors, which are not cheap, and neither are dual Xeon Motherboards. I think you have your Macs/parts confused. No way you could build a dual Xeon machines for $1,000 less than a Mac Pro.

iMac is what i did on apples website. it was around $3,250 and the specs were equivalent to what a $1,500-$2,000 custom built PC would cost (including a 24' monitor) i just find it hard to justify when we are talking almost 2 thousand dollars more. i can post everything up if you like, the iMac and the custom PC that i've put together (on newegg) and you can see for yourself.

patrickv

k i dont really care anymore. windows > macs.

Guys guys relax, chill out. Let a mod close this thread. It's getting pointleess

thats what you think. it runs pretty well on my friends computer. as well as linux does anyways.

You wish, I have been an avid user of Hackintosh for years and trust me when it doesn't work, it doesn't. It's just not a mac Just go on over on InsanelyMac and you'll see dozen of threads about "my pc doesn't boot" or similar thread <- and by PC they mean their Hack.

Bottom line dubesinshower, you're 19, grow up a bit more and realize theres no point in arguing about Mac >Windows or Windows > Mac

cheers

dubesinhower

Guys guys relax, chill out. Let a mod close this thread. It's getting pointleess

You wish, I have been an avid user of Hackintosh for years and trust me when it doesn't work, it doesn't. It's just not a mac Just go on over on InsanelyMac and you'll see dozen of threads about "my pc doesn't boot" or similar thread <- and by PC they mean their Hack.

Bottom line dubesinshower, you're 19, grow up a bit more and realize theres no point in arguing about Mac >Windows or Windows > Mac

cheers

i was going to read all that but then i saw your post count. nice.

JTM

cheers

I've seen it work first hand. Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.