Mac/PC

kharmini91

My friend boasts that he created a home network between a Mac and a PC. Am I the stupid one or is he bluffing? I know they have different file systems and that they are basically polar opposites...

PS. Does anyone know where I can get online instruction manuals for out-of-date Microsoft software (i.e. Office 97, Encarta, etc.) in .pdf if possible?
(Like the one that came in the box)

kharmini91

:rolleyes: Thank you, can you give me some more information about PC/Mac networking? I have a Laptop PC running XP Pro and a G5 with a printer- I want to use the G5's printer on my laptop. I have a Belkin wireless router and laptop adapter which I already use for internet...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Unfortunately no. The network with Macs and PCs was configured by a Mac-service. I hate Macs, so I have no clue how to configure one.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Mac = poop (at least for me) my german teacher boast she has a dual processor Mac G5 desktop computer that cost her more than she probably makes in 3 months. i asked her what she did with it and why she needed a dual processor machine. she jsut said she put her CD's on it and watched DVD's on it and internet stuff...what i expected. i then asked her what her G5 computer did that my $600 computer couldn't (for her, not in general)...she didnt even know what dual-processor computers were used for. that really pisses me off...people have so much power and they dont use it or even know of it. they jsut think it costs $5K so it must be good. o well...i'd steal it and sell it lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My friend boasts that he created a home network between a Mac and a PC. Am I the stupid one or is he bluffing? I know they have different file systems and that they are basically polar opposites...
Doable. Take something like FTP for instance -- it's a clearly established and defined protocol -- both platforms support them. By running a FTP server on one comp you can access it (firewalla & security settings withstanding) from the other and presto... a network.

PS. Does anyone know where I can get online instruction manuals for out-of-date Microsoft software (i.e. Office 97, Encarta, etc.) in .pdf if possible?
MS doesnt do that (to my knowledge)

I want to use the G5's printer on my laptop. I have a Belkin wireless router and laptop adapter which I already use for internet...
Only doable if you have a hardware/dedicated printer server (and the printer supports it)

jesbax

There is on way to file share with a mac and pc. you will have to install appletalk to get it to file share. You can get the program at an apple store. I do have 2 macs on my network and the go thought my pc.

kharmini91

All right, let me tell you exactly what I got.
-Windows XP Pro SP1, herein referred to as PC
-Mac OS X (whatever the latest version is, 10.3 or something), herein referred to as Mac
-Belkin 125mbps High Speed Mode Wireless Router providing cable internet to Mac by LAN and PC by WLAN
-PC MACLAN (full paid version)
-HP All-in-one printer (6 months old), (connected by USB 2.0 to Mac)
I just want step by step instructions, without any hardware installation instructions, how to network for printer sharing. (File Sharing would be a plus!)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
how to network for printer sharing. (File Sharing would be a plus!)
Get a printer server. To my knoweledge you cant do the sharing in this case without hardware support.