macbook os

xxxalpinexxx80

i have a macbook and it has boot camp so you can install windows vista/xp do you guys know if i need the oem version or the upgrade version(sold at most stores)

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
You need OEM/Retail version, you can't use the XP upgrade disc unless you have an existing installation disc and AFAIK you can't use the Vista upgrade disc unless you actually have XP installed.

you need to full version. oem is only sold with systems
You can buy OEM copies of the software, they just don't come with the box or manual like the retail version, and they're a little cheaper. I heard you're only allowed to install an OEM copy on one machine, but AFAIK Microsoft doesn't give a crap and will happily let you activate OEM versions of their OS on other machines in case of a system failure/whatever.

Last edited:

azwebs

Upgrade disks cannot be used because you need a previous version of that operating system installed.

An OEM edition cannot be used, as you have to have built the system (be the original equipment manufacturer).

You do need the retail version, but the prices are slowly starting to drop off. They're more expensive, but that's your only (legal) option.

xxxalpinexxx80

ok, well on boot camp it says you can install xp or vista, should a vista home premium oem work fine? and does any 1 know what program to use on a mac to make a recovery disk to back up the software as it says

xxxalpinexxx80

the mac is actually my daDS, AND I JUST REALIZE IT HAS 1 MOUSE CLICK, how can you copy and paste on xp? ; / or even on a mac