MacBook Pro (17") issues

Blackhatch

It won't even power up right now.

I am told that it is either a motherboard issue or a video card issue.

Is there a way to test it for either?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Your posting in the wrong area, this needs to be in the laptop area. I am sure a moderator will move this subject for you so do not post twice.

You computer will at least power up even with a bad video card. Are you even sure your computer is getting power? When the computer is plugged in is there any light on Mac's showing power connected?

Blackhatch

Thanks for the feedback and I will wait for the moderator to move the thread.

Wasn't sure where to post it.

Thanks and I am not sure about the power sequence. I will get it from my Mother-in-law on Thursday.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Check that the power adapter is either orange (charging) or green (completely charged, running on AC Power).

If you have no light or nothing happens even when plugged in, then you have a bad motherboard.

Blackhatch

Thank you very much.

I will check on this as soon as I get it back from my Mother-in-law.

I appreciate the feedback on this.

Geoff

VIP Member
Did you try holding the power button down for 10 seconds, then turning it back on? Sometimes the answer are simple solutions.

Blackhatch

Okay...updates.

I have orange power adapter and the white light on the front (open button) also comes on but nothing on the screen and no boot up noise.

Geoff

VIP Member
Okay...updates.

I have orange power adapter and the white light on the front (open button) also comes on but nothing on the screen and no boot up noise.
I've seen that on MacBook's before, typically it's a logic board issue.

PohTayToez

Yep, if this is a 1st generation Macbook Pro then it's most likely the video chipset (which is part of the logic board). Most likely you'll either have to replace the entire logic board or take it somewhere which offers a chipset reballing service, either way it won't be cheap.

Blackhatch

This thing is all over the place in terms of booting up and not booting up.

I was trying to in there disable the firmware password although I am pretty certain that I never put one on it. It got about 95% of the way through a new OS install and went to sleep again.

Nothing seems to work in it to clear out the PRAM.

Any truth to this...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqeqTVAD9E

PohTayToez

Yes, there are methods for reflowing the chipset using either a heatgun or oven. They are not very reliable and you might destroy a board that could otherwise be professionally repaired.

Blackhatch

Tried the at home DIY approach...no success.

Battery and screen are still quite good so I am wondering if there is an ebay market for this to just purge it out the parts.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You'd get more money for it sticking the entire thing on eBay and stating it's for parts/repair.