Maintenance for Power supply

man_4422

Hi there,

I would like to know what is the maintenance for power supply for a computer.

Some ppl says that leaving the computer on with less shutting down can prolong the life of the power supply, coz switching the computer can produce sparks to the internal components.

Some ppl says that you have to clean the cooling fan in the power supply. However, power supply carry high voltage, and can easily kill a person. How to lessen dust going into the cooling fan, especially where you can see the cooling fan outside the system unit.

Please advice.

Rgds
man_4422

4W4K3

VIP Member
man_4422 said:
Hi there,

I would like to know what is the maintenance for power supply for a computer.

Some ppl says that leaving the computer on with less shutting down can prolong the life of the power supply, coz switching the computer can produce sparks to the internal components.

Some ppl says that you have to clean the cooling fan in the power supply. However, power supply carry high voltage, and can easily kill a person. How to lessen dust going into the cooling fan, especially where you can see the cooling fan outside the system unit.

Please advice.

Rgds
man_4422

If you're PSU sparks...it's trash. If it's even half decent it will not have a problem booting up and shutting down for a few years. To clean my PSU out..i just get my leaf blower and blow it out with the rest of my case. You might take the cover off the PSU and blow it out...but don't touch the insides of it with anything, just take cover off and blow it out. Don't use a vacuum...they have some kind of emmission that can kill electronics i believe. Leaf blower has worked for me for a year or so...never killed anything. Someone tell me if i'm gonna "kill" him with this advice, but i don't think it's dangerous.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ive made my PSU spark a bunch of times ... stil runs fine ... of course i know what im doing (most of the time) :p